Grand L vs. MX

/ Grand L vs. MX #1  

kuboman

Veteran Member
Tractor
B3200, L5740,
Is there a reason to go with the MX over the Grand L or visa versa? They seem so very similar in size and HP. What would be the advantage of a MX over a L4740 or the other way around.:confused2:

/ Grand L vs. MX #2  
theres 2 tractors in the MX line.an they are the MX4700 an MX5100,the 4700 has i think 48hp an the 5100 has 52hp.

/ Grand L vs. MX #3  
I had the chance to pick up a MX5000 when I was shopping. I looked real hard at it because it was at the old pricing. I drove a HST tractor and decided the L4240 was the right choice. There will always be a time when you want/can use more lift, but it comes with a price...size. I did not want a huge tractor as space is limited in some areas.

The L4240 has done very well and I would recommend it. I think the MX is a more simple model when it comes to features.

Mike

/ Grand L vs. MX #4  
Both are good tractors, but I like the HST+ on the Grand L as well as the amenities not available on the MX47/5100. I seriously doubt one will do any more than the other. To get a substantially heavier duty model, you will need to go to a M which you cannot get with an HST.

Print the specs off, study them and then drive both and you will know which is the one for you.

/ Grand L vs. MX #5  
I think they have roughtly equal loaders but if I was going to buy the tractor for lots of heavy loader work I think I would go with the MX as (I think) it has larger front tires. When lifting real heavy loads I notice my front ag tires sqat quite a bit. That kind of limits you to buying the R4s for the GL over the R1s.

However I really like the extra features of the GL. When using the loader digging into a pile of dirt being able to downshift without letting off the pedal is a great feature that now I have it I wouldn't give it up. I have no idea how well the stall guard works since I always have it on and have never stalled, so I guess it does it's job.

I'm not sure about the 3pt and which one can lift more. I'm not sure if that really matters much though as I think any 3pt attachments will be interchangeable between the two. So if you are wanting a more basic work tractor then the MX may be the best option. If you want a full featured tractor then the GL would be a great option.

/ Grand L vs. MX
So even though as specs go the MX is only inches longer than the GL4240 does the MX give the feeling of being bigger?:confused:
The loaders I think are identical except for the loader control so I am assuming as far as the loader is concerned they should lift the same load. Will the GL need to be ballasted more?:confused2:

/ Grand L vs. MX #7  
So even though as specs go the MX is only inches longer than the GL4240 does the MX give the feeling of being bigger?:confused:
The loaders I think are identical except for the loader control so I am assuming as far as the loader is concerned they should lift the same load. Will the GL need to be ballasted more?:confused2:

I may be missing something, but why are you comparing the 4240 to the MX5100 rather than a 5240?

/ Grand L vs. MX
I may be missing something, but why are you comparing the 4240 to the MX5100 rather than a 5240?

Hmmm...good question.....brain fart I guess. Got my numbers wrong:D

/ Grand L vs. MX #10  
I came out of the 3130 and went to the L5240 with cab, love it. MX seems more farm / utility while the Grand L had more comfort,features etc.