Grapple doesn't stay closed

/ Grapple doesn't stay closed #1  

gunny0628

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King 55HC
I just hooked up my grapple after the winter (here in Florida) to move some debris. I haven't had it hooked up since before the tractor leak issue I posted some time ago (maybe 10 months ago) over in the RK Tractor section.

Anyways, I hooked up the grapple as normal, and went to pick up a pile of oak branches that were trimmed - the movements are fine except for closing the grapple. Once it is closed, either part way, all the way, with debris in it or nothing in it at all - the top portion of the grapple can be opened easily by hand. I don't remember this being the case. The problem is, when I pick up debris I can somewhat grab it, but not forcefully. It won't clamp down like it used to.

Any ideas? I haven't messed with any of this since last year. And now unfortunately I am being told the third function/diverter only had a year warranty and the grapple is pretty much useless now.

I have a RK 55HST Cab and the third function was installed when I purchased the tractor and grapple. I have the 60" Granite Grapple.

I've talked to RK mobile repair and he is looking to see if he has any spare parts.

Am I correct in assuming that you shouldn't be able to open the grapple by hand?

/ Grapple doesn't stay closed #2  
Yep, it should close hard.

It could have air in the cylinder(s) or lines. Cycling the lid(s) a bunch of times would flush it out. If it's the valve sticking in a non neutral position the behaviour should change when you swap the hoses.

/ Grapple doesn't stay closed
I just removed both quick disconnects/connects and found one of them to be 'not as rigid'. I took it apart with a pair of snap ring pliers and cleaned them out and now it is working beautifully.

/ Grapple doesn't stay closed #4  
Thanks for updating your post with the solution to your problem. Not many folks do this.

I spoke too soon - well, not fixed. i thought it was the QD and unfortunately i am back to square one. i am going to replace the QD on that side and see if that fixes it with a new one, instead of a tinkered one. Also, when I took the QD off there was a ton of bubbles coming up through the hose. Could that be from a cylinder????

Yep, it should close hard.

It could have air in the cylinder(s) or lines. Cycling the lid(s) a bunch of times would flush it out. If it's the valve sticking in a non neutral position the behaviour should change when you swap the hoses.
I'm going to replace this QD and see if that is the problem. It worked temporarily and then the problem came back - so I'm going to try and at least eliminate the QD.

new QD installed (both male and female) and everything seems functional for now. I'll update if there seems to be any other problems, but I'm guessing this was the culprit.