Grapple Mods

/ Grapple Mods #1  

dtd24

Gold Member
Tractor
98 JD 1070
I had to make a few changes to my grapple. I bent up the bucket pretty good. I took a 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 1/2" angle and welded it along the entire bottom side of the bucket. The arm connection at the bucket braket bent a bit as well. I tried ti get away with only (2) large bolts on the end. I have added (2) more 5/8" bolts on each side of the arm connection. I think that should solve the arm connection from bending. I will post some pics soon.

/ Grapple Mods
I'll get some oics today, but yesterday I tested my new fix and bent her again. Design Flaw! I have an idea which I will share with the damage pics.

/ Grapple Mods #4  
Theres lots of members here including myself that have put together grapples. I'm sure that if you post a few pictures you'll get some recommendations.

/ Grapple Mods #5  
DTD,

Show some pics when you get a chance. On mine the base plate flexes a bit where the cylinder bracket connects, but so far, no permanent bending.

I was using the grapple yesterday to clear a dead tree that had fallen.
Cut it up in 5 foot lengths, and away it went to the woods. The grapple is work-saving beast, that is for sure. I thought back to the days of cutting into pieces, loading in the utility trailer, hauling, unloading by hand, etc, etc.

I am curious as to where your bend is occuring , and what forces are causing it. When I was designing mine, it appeared that varying the height of the cylinder brackets could make a marked difference in not only down force (squeezing ability) but also forces on the bucket brackets.

I wimped out, and made mine less severe in that department, given I'm using a small machine, and lightweight grapple, by most comparisons.

Let us know.

Good Luck with it!

/ Grapple Mods #6  
Your killin' us man!
We NEED pictures!