Grapple operation

/ Grapple operation #1  

Bsavulis

Tractor
Kioti CK25
Thanks for reading my post!:thumbsup:
I think this is the proper forum for this question, but if not moderators please move it to where appropriate.

I have fabricated a grapple for use on my Kioti CK25, it is mounted on the stock bucket with a titan tooth bar. I was originally going to install a diverter valve off of the curl function. But the more I think on it, I think that it should have independent power and controls. This would allow me to pick up piles of brush with a claw like action. Unfortunately this means connecting to my rear remotes, a mile of hose, etc:eek:. Does anyone have any input on the pros and cons of independent action vs diverting the curl function?:confused3:

Thanks
Brian

/ Grapple operation #2  
I have a diverter. But divert off raise/lower. So still get that "claw-like" action.

You can go with a 3rd function solenoid. Still independent, and no long hoses from the akwardly located rear remote that would also hinder simultaneous operation. But low flow in smaller tractors don't like to truly use 3 functions at once

/ Grapple operation #3  
I use third function, a rear SCV. My rear SCV has detents in both directions, so I move the lever to detent and as the grapple is closing or opening I can dump/curl/lift/lower as desired.

I would not want the extra steps a diverter would add (switching it on and off every time the grapple is opened or closed) or the expense.

I ran hoses to the mid point of my tractor (where loader hydraulics disconnect) and added quick couplers/disconnects. These hoses stay on the tractor all the time. I can unhook at the SVC if I need it for something else.
From the mid quick disconnects, I ran hose to hard lines on the loader that terminate in disconnects for the grapple. They stay on the loader all the time.

/ Grapple operation #4  
You can get a WR Long 3rd function kit which is pretty easy to install and includes the hoses and brackets for your specific tractor model (you tell them what you have when you order it). There is no extra switch to turn it off or on, just a replacement loader handle with a rocker switch for each direction. This style gets plumbed into the power beyond port of your loader valve. The only disadvantage is the valve is either full open or full closed, there's no "feathering" ability though you could add a flow restrictor to your grapple line if you wanted to slow it down.

3rd function auxiliary hydraulic kits for all brands of tractors and loaders

/ Grapple operation #5  
I ran a grapple off the rear remotes for a long long time. Ran the hoses from the back under the tractor and along the other hydraulic lines from the 3ph to FEL. Worked fine. 30' of hose and a couple QC's are a lot cheaper than a 3rd function kit but admittedly not as slick.

gg

/ Grapple operation #6  
What LD1 said is spot on. My WM50 had a true third function and worked fine but the hydraulic flow was at best marginal to do all functions at once. I would guess on smaller units it would be even worse.

I had put off getting a grapple but finally saved up enough coin and purchased one and let the dealer install the 3rd function valve. If you are mechanically inclined you can do it yourself and save some coin.