Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #141  
Re: Loading Firewood with Grapple

ThreePoint,
Yeah, it did a whole lot better than I expected it to. I actually used it for the initial spreading of the piles I made straight out of the dump truck, but I didn't get any video of that.

Hawk

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....
One of the things I really like about my grapple, is the way the bottom part of the grapple is designed. With that large square piece of tubing positioned the way it is, it works wonders for back dragging material into a smooth and leveled surface.

I use mine every time I push a tree over (many many times) and pull up the rootball. After making a mess of the ground by uprooting the tree, I loosen up more soil around the "hole" and start using the "back and fill" technique with the bottom portion of the grapple.

It's one of the uses that many people don't think of, and I sort stumbled on it by accident, but definitely a bonus advantage.

Thanks for posting the vids Hawk! By the way, how often would you say you put your bucket on your front end loader since having the grapple? I'm probably at about 3 times per year, and often short lived at that.

Re: Loading Firewood with Grapple

A good tip regarding grading with the grapple, is if your in pretty hard dirt, or find the FEL getting knocked around a bit from trying to smooth out larger/harder spots, pick up a good sized rock/boulder and leave it in the grapple, the extra weight helps just the same as it does when using rear implements to grade. :thumbsup:

Also, by feathering the curl circuit, you can pick up extra material, drop excess material, or keep it really level. Works real well, give it a try if you haven't.

It's hard to tell in this photo, that there were 4 or 5 trees and stumps there, as well as a "not so level" surface, but this is what it looked like after grading it with nothing more than grapple. Although, I do have to admit, these stumps were ground, not dug out, so I didn't have the giant "holes" to deal with, but there was still a bit of a mess to sort out.

i-m9xTNg8-L.jpg
(The one large "hump" off to the right, is a giant boulder, so I couldn't do much about that without dynamite)

Edit: Being that this is a "grapple" thread, I should probably post a picture of the grapple being used. Not sure if I posted this earlier or not, but here is a shot of my dad taking away some of the brush from one of the trees we cut down prior to the above photo being taken.
i-pWPQZqh-XL.jpg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #144  
Piston,
When I first bought the grapple, it was on the tractor about 60% of the time and the GP bucket about 35%. Last week, however, was the first time I have used it in a little over a year. Now that I am retired from the military and able to spend more time on the farm operations and my business, I will be using it a lot more. I have a couple of horse stables that I haul manure from. So, I'll probably be around 60/35 again.

Hawk

Hey Hawk,
I like your cell phone mount on the tractor. :thumbsup:

Also, I like how you changed up the views with the camera.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #146  
Hey Hawk,
I like your cell phone mount on the tractor. :thumbsup:

Also, I like how you changed up the views with the camera.

Thanks Piston,

The phone is from RAM Mounts. They have all types - http://www.rammount.com/.

The camera mounted in the bucket and on the vehicles is a GoPro Hero.

Hawk

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #147  
I always travel in reverse with loads like that, it solves two problems, being able to see where you are going and dropping stuff and running over it.

And the "tails" of the load don't get under the tires and pull the load out of the grapple, very common with brush and debris.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #148  
   / Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #149  
I always travel in reverse with loads like that, it solves two problems, being able to see where you are going and dropping stuff and running over it.

And the "tails" of the load don't get under the tires and pull the load out of the grapple, very common with brush and debris.
Don't have to worry about the "tails" of the load getting under the tires, just extend the boom to keep it away from the tires.

P4140011.JPG

I gotta get a telehandler.

Just make sure it is a Compact Telehandler with a SSQA, there are several brands available now.

Last edited:
   / Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #150  
just extend the boom to keep it away from the tires.

Easy for you to say LOL

My barn is 45' not including the cupolas. It would be nice to get up to the top with it.