Gravely L model

/ Gravely L model #1  

Dconk91

Tractor
John Deere 301a
I recently rebuilt the top end of mt gravely l model with the 7.6hp high compression head... ever since then it is overheating to the point to where it starts to predetonate. Ive set timing, and changed plugs, not too many know about the old mowers, so any info would help!

/ Gravely L model #2  
I recently rebuilt the top end of mt gravely l model with the 7.6hp high compression head... ever since then it is overheating to the point to where it starts to predetonate. Ive set timing, and changed plugs, not too many know about the old mowers, so any info would help!

What I know about them?
They are wonderful old machines!
I had one.
Sold it years ago and bought a new 12HP Kohler powered Gravely.
Still have it, but don't use it.

/ Gravely L model #3  
As I sit at home checking tractor forums I came across your post. I know nothing about Gravelys so I had to do some searching - there is a ton of info out there to search through.
Two things kept popping up: the magneto timing is very critical and difficult to get right and raising the compression on a flat-head can lead to flow problems.
Not sure of the exact model and year of yours, so I might be talking out of my rear orifice :)
I'll keep watching. Good luck with this.

/ Gravely L model #4  
you might need to use high test gas now, about 9:1 compression is the maximum for regular gas..

/ Gravely L model #5  
As much as I hate FaceBook, I might suggest that you find the Gravely forums on there. Some really knowledgeable guys on there.

You might also considering calling "Richard's Gravely" in West Virginia. They are the go-to guys for anything Gravely related.

/ Gravely L model #6  
If it wasn’t a 7.6 to begin with, the 7.6 has addition shrouds around the cylinder and head to improve cooling. Not sure, but the oil pump might be higher flow as well.