Gravely Pro turn ?

/ Gravely Pro turn ? #31  
gravely has a long history of leading the pack. they were the Golf Course mowers of choice through the 50s and 60s. But that trend took a long hiatus starting in the late 1970s. They seemed to have fallen off a cliff.
I do not know what they have been up to lately and can't begin to opine about them
Kawa is a great engine so there's that.

All the landscapers I know use Ferris, Xmark, and Scagg. I own a Ferris it has a really nice full-4-wheel-suspension. Plus the seat is suspended so it's a super comfy mower.
IF you have a Ferris dealer I'd suggest taking a look at one.

A Major consideration is whether you have a dealer local. but you already know that.

I belong to a landscaper's forum lots of vocational lawn mower guys. I 'll ask there.
But this is the main page where they list all the brands people use gravely/ariens ais among them. Did the Gravely dealer tell you they were part of Ariens?

This is the Gravely page Gravely/Ariens

Screenshot from 2022-05-31 20-05-19.png

Last edited:
   / Gravely Pro turn ?
Yes I know Ariens owns Gravely, that was made clear watching You-tube video the night before deciding to purchase.
I wasn’t impressed by comments made about scag and Ferris by some of the locals. Seems a few with Ferris have complaints about cut quality and the one scag owner that I talked to was not happy in many ways with his scag. I do have one acquaintance close by that swears by his Ferris but it is top of the line with a big Diesel engine, definitely overkill and overpriced for my needs.
One of the locals has an ariens and I felt it might have fit my needs but that dealer had almost nothing left in stock so I had nothing to look at or test drive.

I am wondering if Gravely is the GMC or the Chevy of the brand but it doesn’t matter now as I have already made the purchase and am settling in on being comfortable with my choice.
Haven’t come across any real bad reviews on the Gravely and no one asked seems to have a bad thing to say about them except for those who think I should have went with a top of the line industrial unit.

My last two concerns were put to rest today. One was the ride not being as good as anticipated and how hard it would be to clean everything out after cutting my overgrown yard.

For the first it seems my sister put air in the tires both front and rear to 25 psi thinking they were low and only looking at the specification for the max pressure in the front. ( I dont know what possessed her to do this, guess she was just bored while I was in town getting fuel)
Cleaning everything tonight was easy, just used the compressed air line that reaches into the driveway and blew everything away. The flip up floor and pop off covers made everything easy.

I might still look into buying the upgraded seat but will actually test drive one with it on before deciding. At least now I know what to look for and won’t be afraid to really test drive one to see if it’s worth it.

With this in mind and how nice it cut everything, not many bad reviews along with my growing confidence in it and my decision, I think it’s a keeper at least till my Husband gets home and gives his opinion.

Again a BIG Thankyou to those who responded with advice and/or support. I learned a good bit, gained some confidence and learned how to drive this thing I think fairly well in just a short time.

Janet

/ Gravely Pro turn ? #33  
A couple years ago I decided to go with a new zero turn. I looked at a lot of them.
For the money I don't think you can beat the Gravely. I got a proturn 52 with the Kohler engine and it has performed quite well.
I have around 3 acres and have better than halved my mowing time from when I used a rider.
The Gravely is solid. I can't remember how many mower deck spindles I replaced on my Craftsman rider but the Gravely ate a T post and it didn't wreck anything.

/ Gravely Pro turn ?
I just wanted to update on this before I head outside to attempt some mechanical fixing of one of our tractors. Funny I used to laugh at my husband reading some of the things he did on here but am starting to see the benefit in it.

Anyway after last week mowing our overgrown lawn with the Gravely I started to feel much more confident in my choice. Yesterday I had to travel a bit to sell a car my husband had listed before all heck broke loose. Kind of proud of that also, didn’t budge on the price and charged by the book for delivery.

During my trip it seemed I was coming across Gravely mowers everyplace I stopped. At the gas pumps both before and after the trip. When I stopped for coffee and again at lunch one was cutting the restraunt property the others were getting fuel and one Pulled in and parked right next to me while getting coffee. I took the initiative to talk with all of them and got some real good feedback. Nothing bad to report all are very pleased which was a real comfort to me.

I did cut the front yard again it grows fast and I wanted to get it on a schedule so even being able to wait a few days I felt it was better to get it done.

The ride was much better with the air pressure in the tires down as suggested and I think I found a happy adjustment for the seat that allows full speed in most of the yard. The exception being some spots our dogs dug holes that need taken care of. I am going to have to fill them in and level those areas out again.

Back to the mower, it really did a nice job cutting and everything looks great. I guess one would say the cut quality is exceptional in my opinion but in real high grass it does leave some stragglers, if you don’t slow down and pay attention. I found it best to just cut and then go back at a different direction a second pass as the best way to get all the tall stuff taken care of. Understand some of this grass was really excessively tall and not something normal people would be dealing with along with the fact that some of it was once farm field and isn’t actual grass like most yards would have so it’s not all typical grass.

The roll bar is both a comfort and a hinderence as It needs folded down to get even remotely as far under the trees as a finish mower on the tractor. I actually ended up cutting the lower branches on some of the bigger trees out back so I wouldn’t have to lower it all the time. Surprise was I actually like the look a bit better and now have some new Ideas on improving my landscape.

The Gravely performed very well and only scalped in one spot, handled all hills we normally cut but I didn’t push my luck on the stuff he normally doesn’t cut. About 2 times per season he uses a friends industrial unit with one of those big arms that you see cutting real steep roadside brush for that.

The controls are all simple and responsive, I kind of like the use of the magnetic peg for deck height adjustment and the only downside I can think of is when the writing on or around the holes wears off it would be a bit of a pain trying to remember or figure out which is what setting. Maybe they should have stamped it into the steel instead of using a sticker.

When I stopped to buy spare filters and fluids to have on hand I found they wanted a premium for the Gravely ones but you can get the Kawasaki filters for about half.

Anyway I again wanted to thank everyone for the help and if anyone is thinking about a zero turn I hope something posted here might be of help in that decision.

Janet

/ Gravely Pro turn ?
Just to update. Hubby was able to come home for a couple days and take care of some things. So I asked him to check out the new Gravely. I must have done better than expected, He smiled a lot and there was no sign of disappointment at all.
I know it might seem like nothing to others but if you only knew of some of the poor decisions I made when buying things, not only would you have a good laugh but you would understand why this concerned me so much!

Thank you all for the help, feedback and guidance!
Janet