Grid-tied solar

/ Grid-tied solar #551  
I know old school is ride out the heat with open windows (or find a cave). But I went back to new old school with window units. It's not as attractive, but neither is it all or nothing or as expensive.

We have a portable cooling unit that we can use if it gets too bad. Except for that 4pm to 7pm time frame in my office (west side of the house), it really has not been that bad this year. We keep the temp set between 82-85. Anything below 82 and we both get too cold.

/ Grid-tied solar #552  
We have a portable cooling unit that we can use if it gets too bad. Except for that 4pm to 7pm time frame in my office (west side of the house), it really has not been that bad this year. We keep the temp set between 82-85. Anything below 82 and we both get too cold.

It's currently 75 in our house, which is about perfect. If I turn the air to 74, we start looking for blankets! The temp does go down to 74 at night for good sleeping. :)

Before we had our geothermal installed, we kept the air set on 78. Now it's cooler in the house and our bill is less!

/ Grid-tied solar #553  
It's currently 75 in our house, which is about perfect. If I turn the air to 74, we start looking for blankets! The temp does go down to 74 at night for good sleeping. :)

Before we had our geothermal installed, we kept the air set on 78. Now it's cooler in the house and our bill is less!
The bolded is our goal. How we get there is a work in progress. We're still pushing ahead with the solar for the house. We are researching whether we should replace the air handler and coils, replace the entire system, or go to mini split. Waiting on bids from the HVAC contractors.

/ Grid-tied solar #554  
The bolded is our goal. How we get there is a work in progress. We're still pushing ahead with the solar for the house. We are researching whether we should replace the air handler and coils, replace the entire system, or go to mini split. Waiting on bids from the HVAC contractors.

We are looking to add solar to our new home after the first year. I would like to replace about 90% of our electric with solar, but we are going to shoot for about 50% the first go-around and add more panels as money allows.

/ Grid-tied solar #555  
We are looking to add solar to our new home after the first year. I would like to replace about 90% of our electric with solar, but we are going to shoot for about 50% the first go-around and add more panels as money allows.
If you want to add panels later then go with microinverters. The issue (if you have single inverter) is that the panels compatible with your old panels and inverter might not be available anymore. Since there is single microinverter per panel you can mix and match panels. Microinverters will also give you somewhat better performance (few %) and if you are able to install new power outlet in your house you can install/add microinverters DIY it so easy.
I would also install full system right away:
1.) Interest rates are low and if you add it to your mortgage the interest paid is tax deductible.
2.) The tax rebate for alternative energy will expire.

And very important: Before you make a decision about installing PV make sure that you have contract with the utility about billing etc. Do not assume anything.

/ Grid-tied solar #556  
If you want to add panels later then go with microinverters. The issue (if you have single inverter) is that the panels compatible with your old panels and inverter might not be available anymore. Since there is single microinverter per panel you can mix and match panels. Microinverters will also give you somewhat better performance (few %) and if you are able to install new power outlet in your house you can install/add microinverters DIY it so easy.
I would also install full system right away:
1.) Interest rates are low and if you add it to your mortgage the interest paid is tax deductible.
2.) The tax rebate for alternative energy will expire.

And very important: Before you make a decision about installing PV make sure that you have contract with the utility about billing etc. Do not assume anything.

Thank you very much for the tips! I would love to add it all at the time we build our home, but I don't think it is going to work out. For starters, the panels are going on our detached garage (for several reasons, one being that the roof will face due south), but the garage will not be completed at the time the house is. Also, due to the sale of our current home and a few other factors, we will be right near the 80% on our mortgage and won't be able to fit the panels in without a second mortgage or PMI.

Our plan is to use the tax credit from our geothermal installation plus some other funds and install the panels in the spring of 2015. Then, in the spring of 2016, we will use the tax credit from our initial solar install to add another large chunk. This will also give us a year in our new home to determine actual energy usage to ensure the system is sized properly.

We are planning to go with micro inverters as you mention. I hadn't thought about the compatibility, but that's a great point. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and am considering doing the second installation myself after the 'big' things are done with the initial installation. Heck, my dad was a carpenter and he had me putting electrical outlets in when I was 8! :)

10-4 on the utility agreement. I already have the details for that in hand. It is a 'net usage over 12 months' type of agreement. At the end of every 12 months (starting when your installation goes live), they wipe out any excess you have generated. So, if I install in April and generate extra in April, May and June, that will carry over until I use it. However, if I don't have it used by the end of March the following year, I lose any credits...they do not buy any back from me. That's why I definitely don't want to over produce and would like to stay right around 80-90% to just account for the $20 minimum charge just to have a meter.

/ Grid-tied solar #557  
My Utility will not let you install more than 110% of usage...

The solar installers I've contacted all want to hit 90-95% because there is a minimum electric monthly charge if you use no power which fades away when there is a little power used.

Still on the fence for Mom's install... $8300 for the 3kW with Canadian Solar Panels and 215 Microinvertors.

Also one brother thinks it is foolish at her age to spend that kind of money with a payback measured in years...

It would seem using more power shouldn't be a problem... can always plug in a portable electric heater or similar?

/ Grid-tied solar #558  
Thank you very much for the tips! I would love to add it all at the time we build our home, but I don't think it is going to work out. For starters, the panels are going on our detached garage (for several reasons, one being that the roof will face due south), but the garage will not be completed at the time the house is. Also, due to the sale of our current home and a few other factors, we will be right near the 80% on our mortgage and won't be able to fit the panels in without a second mortgage or PMI.

Our plan is to use the tax credit from our geothermal installation plus some other funds and install the panels in the spring of 2015. Then, in the spring of 2016, we will use the tax credit from our initial solar install to add another large chunk. This will also give us a year in our new home to determine actual energy usage to ensure the system is sized properly.

We are planning to go with micro inverters as you mention. I hadn't thought about the compatibility, but that's a great point. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and am considering doing the second installation myself after the 'big' things are done with the initial installation. Heck, my dad was a carpenter and he had me putting electrical outlets in when I was 8! :)

10-4 on the utility agreement. I already have the details for that in hand. It is a 'net usage over 12 months' type of agreement. At the end of every 12 months (starting when your installation goes live), they wipe out any excess you have generated. So, if I install in April and generate extra in April, May and June, that will carry over until I use it. However, if I don't have it used by the end of March the following year, I lose any credits...they do not buy any back from me. That's why I definitely don't want to over produce and would like to stay right around 80-90% to just account for the $20 minimum charge just to have a meter.

I have another suggestion. Determine how many panels will fit in the roof and install the racking for full roof. Also buy the Enphase cable for full roof of the panels. This will add only small expense and will make future expansion one afternoon job.

/ Grid-tied solar #559  
My Utility will not let you install more than 110% of usage...

The solar installers I've contacted all want to hit 90-95% because there is a minimum electric monthly charge if you use no power which fades away when there is a little power used.

Still on the fence for Mom's install... $8300 for the 3kW with Canadian Solar Panels and 215 Microinvertors.

Also one brother thinks it is foolish at her age to spend that kind of money with a payback measured in years...

It would seem using more power shouldn't be a problem... can always plug in a portable electric heater or similar?

It depends what is her utility policy. If they give her net metering with banking (common in CA) then the payback is quite short. I also think that the PV increases value of the property.
There are devices that will send excess power to hot water heater or pre-heater. Power Diverter | Powerdiverter Don't know if there US version at this point.

/ Grid-tied solar #560  
I have another suggestion. Determine how many panels will fit in the roof and install the racking for full roof. Also buy the Enphase cable for full roof of the panels. This will add only small expense and will make future expansion one afternoon job.

Those were my thoughts exactly! :)