Grinder or Welder

/ Grinder or Welder #1  

pwright

Gold Member
Tractor
2012 Bobcat CT225
Saw this and thought it was funny enough to share.

10153150_639269576139797_783840256_n.jpg

/ Grinder or Welder #3  
Just look at some harbor freight steel tools, with bondo and painted over..

Hey, don't poke fun at my tools. :laughing:

/ Grinder or Welder #5  
Yeah James, even their press plates, besides being cast, have been reported to have bondo on 'em - 's why one of my next acquisitions are the plates and finger brake from SWAG offroad - both of those together will cost about twice what the press cost, but it adds a LOT of functionality... Steve

/ Grinder or Welder #7  
I didn't know about the Bondo thing until about a couple of years ago. It seems that at least some of the foundries over in the land of the Great Wall, hide their casting defects with "Bondo" and then paint over them.

On another forum it was brought out that a lot of vises coming out of there had Bondo hiding small casting defects.
I bought a Craftsman vise made there anyway, since that particular model had a reputation of being a very good quality.
Usually, what I buy gets skinned up and banged around anyhow, so I don't mind the bondo. :D
I guess it's the principle of the thing. Knowing they're trying to hide something from the buyer that kind of irks me. :mad:

One thing I've found out about Harbor Freight is to not buy anything painted red that you intend to leave outside, because after a few months it will turn pink.
BTW, does anyone want a pink dump cart. :laughing:

/ Grinder or Welder #8  
Sorry to burst a bubble...but IMO there is no way in heck you can make any kind of weld look like anything but a "ground weld" with a grinder...good or bad to start with...
...and BTW... a "perfect (looking) bead" is not a "perfect" indication of a "perfect weld"...

/ Grinder or Welder #9  
I didn't know about the Bondo thing until about a couple of years ago. It seems that at least some of the foundries over in the land of the Great Wall, hide their casting defects with "Bondo" and then paint over them.

On another forum it was brought out that a lot of vises coming out of there had Bondo hiding small casting defects.
I bought a Craftsman vise made there anyway, since that particular model had a reputation of being a very good quality.
Usually, what I buy gets skinned up and banged around anyhow, so I don't mind the bondo. :D
I guess it's the principle of the thing. Knowing they're trying to hide something from the buyer that kind of irks me. :mad:

One thing I've found out about Harbor Freight is to not buy anything painted red that you intend to leave outside, because after a few months it will turn pink.
BTW, does anyone want a pink dump cart. :laughing:

Depends on where in Texas you are; I'd grab it if you were close.

An aircraft mechanic friend of mine always bought either pink or floral-pattern tools from the Snap-On man. Never had a problem with them walking off. :)

/ Grinder or Welder #10  
A perfect looking bead isn't necessarily an indication of a perfect weld but looks a whole better than an ugly weld that for sure isn't a perfect weld. A properly done weld with no grinding does look better than a ground weld. Most times you can tell a lot about a weld just by visual inspection alone.