Grinder/shredder ideas

/ Grinder/shredder ideas #21  
We were given three skids of coir about 5 years ago. Ours is in small paper wrapped packages about 3"x2" x 2". They were shipped by accident and return shipping was worth much more than the product. The dump wants them all unwrapped before they go to township compost. They are in cardboard boxes about 8x8x6 on our basement shelves .....

/ Grinder/shredder ideas
Wow - we went and got these at a local greenhouse that uses them to start hydroponics. They are a weird little package - about 2' foot long, 6" wide and 4" deep plastic wrapped bale. They have two 4x4 squares cut out of the plastic bag on top that had a little 2" high square of a fiberglass material that sits on the 4x4 opening. Their plant grew in that. We just popped the 4x4 part right off when we unloaded them and pitched that of course. Now we have a nice package of coir. My understanding is they start their plants in them and from their stand point it is easier to pitch them than it is to reuse them. We want to mix them into top soil/compost and use it to top dress our clay. We are basically on a massive clay slab - when you dig with the mini ex when it is wet out I can have a perfect mold of my bucket in solid clay. One big chunk that mirrors the exact inside of the bucket. The extension office guys said to use the coir and that will help break the clay up over time. Figured it was free so it was a good place to start and if it works I can keep adding more over the years....