Groundhog Help Needed

/ Groundhog Help Needed #1  

Parkanzky

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2032R
I looked out my dining window this morning and saw a groundhog digging a hole at the base of a tree right next to my septic leach field.

I took my dog out with me, but the snow between the drive and the hole was deeper than she wanted to navigate.

Discharging firearms is not permitted here, and even if I could I don't think my front yard is the place to squeeze off a few rounds.

So what do I do?

/ Groundhog Help Needed #2  
Get a trap and bait it with apples.

/ Groundhog Help Needed #3  
Let it dig the hole a little deeper. Then take a can of starting fluid out there and spray it in the hole for about 10 seconds. Spray a path from the hole entrance for about a yard away from it. The light it with flame. Take a shovel out there with you just in case he pulls a 'Mayor of Hiroshima Exclamation' ('What the F was THAT ???')

/ Groundhog Help Needed #6  
let him keep digging when he gets to the drainfield he may realize he didnt pick the best piece of real estate .

/ Groundhog Help Needed #7  
Wait till he is in the hole and put a road flare down the hole and fill it in. The fumes will get him.

/ Groundhog Help Needed #8  
let him keep digging when he gets to the drainfield he may realize he didnt pick the best piece of real estate .

ha!

i have never seen these guys out in winter but i do constant battle with them every summer. get a good-sized trap and throw a few slices of apple coated in peanut butter in it. place the trap right near one of the holes where you see him going in/out. sometimes it's a matter of hours, sometimes days with a few trapped squirrels in between, but it always works for me.

i've never tried the smoke bombs, but usually because the holes are near buildings.

release, 22LR and trash cans large enough to accommodate the trap and filled with water seem to be the most common next steps after trapping them. i like the first two - the third seems like a terrible way to go out.

turkey vultures make quick work of the waste around here.

Last edited:
   / Groundhog Help Needed #9  
My buddy bought one of these, it injects a propane & oxygen mix into the hole. It is a lot of fun too.

http://youtu.be/CgztUzqaL3E

/ Groundhog Help Needed #10  
Capture him and have him bite the mayor of wherever on TV and the two of you can become celebrities.