Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him?

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #71  
He used a fake cashiers check to steal a Massey and rake. He had even pulled the plates off of his black Ram truck. Pictures:

Man uses fake $67,500 cashier's check to steal tractor, hay rake from Memphis
I was banker for 31 years and none of this surprises me. During the early 70's our money orders were coming in from South America. Perfect replicas except each check had the samd check number. If it wasn''t for that and an alert clerk in the check clearing department and some very good luck a valid check and a replica were received and presented for payment in close proximity so the clerk alerted us to the fraudulent scheme. WE were very fortunate this was detected and stopped very early. iIf the printer had a numer sequence generator this scheme would have gone undetected for an extended pperiod. As for cash....we financed the construction of a jai lai fronton and the deposits coming in from the betting windows was contaminated with fraudulent currency in various demonitiopns. The counterfeits were so good the tellers processing the deposits wre not able to recognize the fraudulent bills. It got to the point that special wrappers were used for their currency so when the bills were shipped to the Federal Reserve Bank their equipment was able to recognize the counterfeits and return them to us so we were able to charge back the counterfeits to the fronton and give the bills to the Secret Service to investigate. I could go on and on with these stories. Schemes originating from Nigeria became commonplace. Now I asume most of this stuff has migrated to online schemes originating overseas. It just never ends.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #72  
My wife works at a tractor dealership. A few years ago, a guy came in and bought a new zero turn mower. A few days later they discovered his check was bad. The mower was about $5000.

After a few phone calls, the mower was located at a pawn shop about 30 miles away. The boss called the pawn shop and said "I'm coming get my stolen mower". The pawn shop said "it will cost you $3000".

Turns out the pawn shop was right. The thief showed the pawn shop a receipt for the purchase of the mower. The mower dealership is responsible for making sure the check is legitimate. The pawn shop had covered his a$$ and did not loose any money on this theft.
I'm not current on all the laws in all the states, but that doesnt seem right. Stolen is stolen. According to my local pawn guy, he is the one who is always out when something is proven to have been stolen. No way he is suppose to make money on a stolen item.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #74  
We have bought cars with a personal check before. I talking brand new cars or trucks from dealership. I’ve asked them how do they allow that. They photo copy our ID’s and run a credit check. They can usually tell by the credit check if we’re good, a long extensive history.

Did they run a credit check on this guy? Was the fake ID of a real person with a good credit history?
Yep. I bought a new Lincoln Nautilus (~$60,000+) last year and the dealership had no problem accepting my personal check. No way in the world I'd go marching around town with that much cash in my pocket. It's just not safe.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #75  
Cashier's checks are the easiest to fake. Years ago, I had a race car for sale. Got some e-malls from a supposed buyer. He ask me how much i wanted for the car and if I could ship it for him. I told him I can not ship, must pick up.

A week later, I get a cashiers check in the mail made out for about $500 more than the cost of the car. He explained that I should cash the check, then get $500 in travelers checks and then send the checks to a PO box.

The whole thing look hoky to me, so i took the cashiers check to my bank and ask it was real. After about 15 minutes, the bank person came to me and said it's fake. The banker pointed out the errors on the check.

Reported this to the local police, they did nothing claiming that as I did not loose money, they couldn't do anything. So much for the police helping.

Richard

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #76  
Cashier's checks are the easiest to fake. Years ago, I had a race car for sale. Got some e-malls from a supposed buyer. He ask me how much i wanted for the car and if I could ship it for him. I told him I can not ship, must pick up.

A week later, I get a cashiers check in the mail made out for about $500 more than the cost of the car. He explained that I should cash the check, then get $500 in travelers checks and then send the checks to a PO box.

The whole thing look hoky to me, so i took the cashiers check to my bank and ask it was real. After about 15 minutes, the bank person came to me and said it's fake. The banker pointed out the errors on the check.

Reported this to the local police, they did nothing claiming that as I did not loose money, they couldn't do anything. So much for the police helping.

Richard
Thats a pretty common scam.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #77  
Well, I don't feel comfortable with checks. So if they want what I have, they can do as I like. I know all about confiscation. I can instruct how to get around that. Or you can have the money wired to you in my town. Money has RFID chips in it. Just like your tires do. My tires don't. Cops have scanners unmanned that pick up cash amounts. You filled out papers for so called "warranty" on your tires, match money and tires to you and vehicle. Why you think they always find dope money but never dope? Dope don't have chips. Foil is your friend.
WHAT?

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #78  
He used a fake cashiers check to steal a Massey and rake. He had even pulled the plates off of his black Ram truck. Pictures:

Man uses fake $67,500 cashier's check to steal tractor, hay rake from Memphis
The pictures should get him caught in short time. Based on the amount,that should bring in the FBI,maybe ATF whoever deals with counterfetting. . Surly he will get caught...

Got to admit in this day and age, it either took zero brain cells or huge gonads... maybe both.

Last edited:
   / Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #79  
Had a friend that was given a wad of fake bills with real ones on top and bottom. Just before he signed the title he decided to count the money and found fake bills. Beware, treat everyone as a thief unfortunately.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #80  
Crooks are very up to date on laws and law enforcement in any given locale. The entire deal was a $67k setup. Forged everything, start to finish, the phone number on the check would probably answer with xx bank and then verify the check. He probably had forged temp tags and a forged registration in the truck.
I spent 15 years as a fraud and robbery investigator for AIG.