Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,471  
Can anybody recommend the Harbert Freight portable bandsaw? Seems to have great reviews.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,473  
Can anybody recommend the Harbert Freight portable bandsaw? Seems to have great reviews.

Hey I can't say ANYthing about the "HarBERT*"freight ones, but I bought one from Harbor Freight- and I can only tell that it looks and feels decently heavy-duty and well-made, because I haven't any occasion to use it yet, despite trying to figure out something it's necessary for...

It's a real problem too, because I had to have the Ms. swap out the old model I bought [not knowing it was getting closed out] for one of the newer bigger bite ones because they new ones came on sale for what I bought the old one for.

Of course, she was trying to get me to just return it for the $, and not make the swap, saying: "What do we need it for anyway- we have all kinds of other saws around here already..."

Oh well...

Good luck!
PA

PS: *Just sayin' because HF is HF either way...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,474  
I recently bought the portable bandsaw and it works well for cutting off lengths of stock from the rack. More convenient than dragging a 20' piece to the horizontal bandsaw when you only need a couple of feet.

Ken

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,475  
I recently bought the portable bandsaw and it works well for cutting off lengths of stock from the rack. More convenient than dragging a 20' piece to the horizontal bandsaw when you only need a couple of feet.

Ken

Can you describe it some more? How good is the cut and how easy to handle? I could use one and am tempted to buy.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,476  
So far, I have only used it to rough cut bar stock prior to machining. I found it very easy to use and cut quicker than I expected. I did not pay much attention to the quality of the cut. If it was ugly, I would have noticed. This was the Bauer brand one (#63444) that I got for $99. Well worth that cost.

Ken

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,477  
Can you describe it some more? How good is the cut and how easy to handle? I could use one and am tempted to buy.

I have one. It works pretty good.. Only thing is to get better blades pretty much right off the bat. The one that comes with it is a wood blade.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,478  
I have the portable bandsaw that HF has sold for several years, not the new deep clearance one.

I like it. Any time I could reach for a hacksaw I use this instead and finish the cut in seconds.

Mine needed a little 'Some Assembly Required' to align the slot in the foot parallel to the blade, to make it cut on or parallel to a guide line. After that, no problems. Well worth whatever it cost.

Here's a thread over on WeldingWeb where I posted the same as what I would post here in reply to you, with pictures and everything.

Any luck with the HF porta band?

I think the bandsaw was discussed in this thread years ago - good luck finding it.

One more point, there is a company that makes a bench mount for it similar to the photo someone put in that Welding Web thread. The blade runs vertical with a worktable to slide the material into the blade.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,480  
I have one. Works great. I recently used it to cut up the shipping frame that my chipper came in.
One note. If you are going to buy Dewalt blades make sure you get the .025" thick blades.