Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,371  
I have their 1hp model. It sucked at first (actually it didn't). They put a plastic guard on both the inlet and outlet to prevent fingers from reaching in. The problem is that anything larger than sawdust will get caught on it. Once removed it works great. I tell anyone who is using a shop vac to switch over. Just the noise reduction alone is worth it. I got it because I have enough tools that just don't make a lot of dust, like my bandsaw, so I don't bother having it plumbed to the big DC.

IMG_0600.jpg

I added a cartridge filter and a 30 gallon pre-separator to mine. I built a base, using two layers of 3/4" plywood. I'm about to upgrade the 3" casters to 5" locking.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,372  
I'd really like one of them but they just take up too much room and the ductwork is a pita. I guess I shoulda built my shop larger:)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,373  
I'd really like one of them but they just take up too much room and the ductwork is a pita. I guess I shoulda built my shop larger:)

Ceiling space? Outside wall space? Exhaust direct to outside?

I've done it three times now, in three different shops, with varying levels of integration/complexity. Implementation #2, my wife's shop for her art business, has four drops, a floor sweep, custom made blast gates with integrated switches that turn on the collector from any station.

It's a huge difference maker in terms of ease of use, and keeping the dust under control.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,374  
And here I thought it was just me, but he is a little like listening to finger nails on a blackboard.
He does a lot of excellent videos though.
But, I think he has pretty much exhausted the "will running this instead of oil destroy the engine," and "will and engine run on this" topics. Most times the results are going to be pretty obvious.
I don't generally watch the "run on this" videos. I do watch most of his tool stuff if it's something I will use but I often set youtube to play at 1.25x speed. I can deal with his voice, I have coworkers that are more annoying. :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#14,375  
Some of his tests on glues, like two part epoxy, are the best I've seen anywhere. Some stuff is silly, but he puts a good effort into making his tests valid and repeatable.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,376  
It's brand new, so I'm guessing not a lot of you have seen this yet, but I'm curious if any of you have seen HF's new VIKING 3400 Peak Amp 12/24 Volt Jump Starter: 3400 Peak Amp Pro Portable Jump Starter and Power Pack

... I'd really like to know more about it before shelling out $300.
At 38 lbs that seems more like something a tow company or heavy-equipment service truck would carry for multiple service calls before they have a chance to recharge it. It's considerably beyond the capacity of jump starters advertised for cars and light trucks.

Project Farm's Youtube comparison of several modern Li-Ion tiny jump starters found several that were sufficient for a 4.2 L Ford 5000 tractor with its battery removed entirely. And most were under $100. (HF's Viking was among the weakest in his tests).

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,377  
The Viking hand held Li-Ion starter didn't do squat in his test but fail. Not at all impressed and for 300 bucks, think I'd take it home and use it real hard and if it didn't pan out, return it. Remember, HF has a 30 day return (no questions asked) policy. I've used to before.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,378  
Far as I can tell, the 'project farm guy has a hardon for HF stuff. He gives the Bauer cordless 20 volt stuff very low marks consistently but my personal experience tells me just the opposite. I've had no failures on any of them in 2 years and I run the snot out of them. I do find his voice borderline irritating but better than the Canadian guy with the foul mouth. I'm not sure if he's even around anymore.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,379  
At 38 lbs that seems more like something a tow company or heavy-equipment service truck would carry for multiple service calls before they have a chance to recharge it. It's considerably beyond the capacity of jump starters advertised for cars and light trucks.

Project Farm's Youtube comparison of several modern Li-Ion tiny jump starters found several that were sufficient for a 4.2 L Ford 5000 tractor with its battery removed entirely. And most were under $100. (HF's Viking was among the weakest in his tests).

When one of them makes a 24 Volt version, I'll consider it. I'm looking for something to keep in my 1951 Dodge M37 Truck (Korean War military pickup). It has a 24V electrical system. Not likely I'll be able to get a jump from a random passerby.

Northern Tool has a 12/24V jump starter (same technology as the HF unit: AGM batteries). Their list is $580. Currently on sale for $480 if you are a NT "Advantage member". I had ruled that one out based on price, but have since found it on Amazon for about $320 (Truck Pac ES1224), so it's back in the running again.

I sent an email to one of the Lithium Ion jump start manufacturers asking if they had a 24V version in their plans. The answer was "No". Unfortunately, they never did answer my question about whether they have concerns about connecting two 12V jump starters in series to jump my truck. I can't see why it would be a problem, but would feel better about doing so if I actually heard back from them.

... and yeah, the HF Viking Lithium Ion jump starter is not it the running for connecting two in series if I go that way. It's on the wimpy side compared to other options. Noco makes some good ones.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,380  
When one of them makes a 24 Volt version, I'll consider it. I'm looking for something to keep in my 1951 Dodge M37 Truck (Korean War military pickup). It has a 24V electrical system.
That's the Chrysler 230 or 251 cubic inch flathead six, no?

When you're feeding 24 volts to the starter then it only needs half the amps of a 12 volt starter for the same cranking power.

So ... it seems to me two moderate price Li-Ion jump starters in series would be more than enough.