Hardfacing question

/ Hardfacing question #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
Have skid shoes on a grader scraper that need attention and someone in another thread suggested hardfacing. It sounds like just what I need for a part of this project.
I recently bought a Hobart 210 mig 220 welder and have no welding experience but need to accomplish this so I can rely on myself. I don't think this is a challenge for most of the welders here but I would appreciate suggestions. Some of you may have seen my efforts in another thread and maybe could continue with your advice and recommendations.
If not, I am trying to slow down the wear on the latest skid shoes on my grader scraper which has already begun to wear down faster than I want. Hardfacing was suggested and it sound like what I am looking for but I am not completely clear on that process or the materials required.
Thanks for any info

/ Hardfacing question #2  
I never did any hard facing with Mig, always with SMAW. On augers, clam buckets, etc, etc. Got all set up one time to do it with Mig, but got pulled off to do something else before I ever pulled the trigger. Here is a video I found about it tho.

http://youtu.be/klmTV6iY0BE

/ Hardfacing question
thanks Arc
seems like I need to get to work with gas already
oh well wouldn't want anything to be easy
in for a penny in for a pound as they say

/ Hardfacing question #4  
I've done a little bit of hardfacing with MIG on a rockwheel trencher.

Hardfacing

I'm no expert for sure. All I know is that it worked really well, and was quite easy to apply. I was taught though, that the dirt that packs in between the rows of hardfacing is as important to the abrasion resistance, as the hardfacing itself.

Brian

/ Hardfacing question
Interesting Brian
That makes sense

/ Hardfacing question #6  
thanks Arc
seems like I need to get to work with gas already
oh well wouldn't want anything to be easy
in for a penny in for a pound as they say

At one time I was looking into MIG hardfacing, and found some gasless hardfacing wire. Can't remember much else about it. But it exists.

/ Hardfacing question #7  
At one time I was looking into MIG hardfacing, and found some gasless hardfacing wire. Can't remember much else about it. But it exists.

The wire I used on the rockwheel didn't use a shielding gas.

Brian

/ Hardfacing question #8  

Lincoln offers several flux core and dual shield versions in addition to GMAW, but I think they are only available in 25 and 50 pound spools.

Terry

/ Hardfacing question #10  
Lincoln offers several flux core and dual shield versions in addition to GMAW, but I think they are only available in 25 and 50 pound spools.

Terry

And they are often only available in larger sizes (.045" - 1/16").

But much harder to find in the smaller sizes (.030 - .035).