Hardware Selection at Lowes

/ Hardware Selection at Lowes #1  

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
I was in Lowes a couple days ago, looking for a special nut for a project. I noticed they have a relatively large selection of pins, grommets, anchors, nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc. I probably spent 15 minutes browsing through all the drawers to see all the specialty hardware they carried, making a mental note for future reference. I found several odd items that were exactly what I needed on past projects, but I had no idea where to begin looking for them. It's not the first place I would go for tractor repairs, but if you have a Lowes nearby it might be worth a try before driving too far to find an odd piece of hardware for that special project.

/ Hardware Selection at Lowes #2  
I've noticed that the big box stores are carrying more unusual stuff- but you pay for it. And they're always out of the one thing I need! I get my more unusual stuff from McMaster-Carr. They have online ordering, and they will sell to anyone. Here in FL, if you order it by noon, you'll have it the next morning. I keep the 3500 pg. catalog in the bathroom:D

/ Hardware Selection at Lowes #3  
Ever noticed how it always seems to be the case that you come upon that one "specialty" piece of hardware that you needed two projects ago while you're just browsing looking for something else?

Hate when that happens! :p

/ Hardware Selection at Lowes #4  
Seems when I need something HD & Lowes are running a "2 fer 1 sale". Sorry we are out of that but put these two together and it will work. All store personnel must get special training in 2 fer 1.

/ Hardware Selection at Lowes #5  
ctpres said:
Seems when I need something HD & Lowes are running a "2 fer 1 sale". Sorry we are out of that but put these two together and it will work. All store personnel must get special training in 2 fer 1.

Hahahaha! I get that in the plumbing section all the time.... Dude, I don't want to spend $5 in parts to make up for the $.89 part you are out of. I figured out how to solve the out of stock plumbing parts issue though... I go to the store in the most affluent area... apparently nobody there ever does their own plumbing projects cause the store is always well stocked ;)

Charles

/ Hardware Selection at Lowes #6  
They built a new Lowes in the area and I was surprised to find the steel section is 2-3 times larger than what you normally see. Prices still way to high to buy anything there versus going to an actual steel place though.

/ Hardware Selection at Lowes #7  
I have to laugh every time I go to one of the big box stores and see what they want for their hardware. You would think it was made of gold or something. When you need a special nut, bolt or piece of hardware the place to go is a bolt supplier. I can think of 5 local bolt suppliers just in my area. They are more set up for industrial customers but all of them are happy to sell you one or two items. Just check your phone book to see what kind of fastener suppliers there are in your area. Usually their prices can't be beat and their selection is hard to beat including all three major threads, Metric, SAE and British Metric.

/ Hardware Selection at Lowes #8  
For a generic hardware store Orchard Supply is hard to beat (in our area) for a good variety of unusual parts at a decent price. One of the two local Ace Hardware stores is a close second.

/ Hardware Selection at Lowes #9  
scgargoyle said:
I've noticed that the big box stores are carrying more unusual stuff- but you pay for it. And they're always out of the one thing I need! I get my more unusual stuff from McMaster-Carr. They have online ordering, and they will sell to anyone. Here in FL, if you order it by noon, you'll have it the next morning. I keep the 3500 pg. catalog in the bathroom:D
McMaster-Carr is great for odd parts... and there is some tool site - it's like lauratool (but not)- or something close to that - lost the bookmark apparently... but that place is where you can buy any ODD little tool you might need - same fast shipping too.
They have all the safety drivers, security drivers, Torx from like 1 to 1000 - really cool things you could never imagine anyone needing... until you need it!

/ Hardware Selection at Lowes #10  
I miss Orchard Supply Hardware from when I lived in California. It was always a few cents to a buck more expensive then Home Depot, but there was never a line and you could find anything you wanted. When Sears bought them out and put Craftsman tools in, I was very pleased. There bolt and nut selection was also very good.

We have two Lowes in our area, with the newest one the closest to my home. It might be my very favorite store!!! They are night and day compared to the other Lowes in selection and assistance. It's one of the largest Lowes built, so that helps too.

I've never had a problem with their fastners, but consider them to be on the high end for price. I like Tractor Supply for my bulk bolts and fastners, but will go to a specialty store for odd, oversized and superior quality bolts.

Eddie