Have you lived?

/ Have you lived? #101  
It's been a long time, but if my memory isn't too foggy...... they were a way of getting iodine in your diet before iodized salt was common.

Pat (Techno-Tractor Mom)

/ Have you lived? #102  
I had the milk breaks, but we got cookies, not goiter pills. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

How about fallout drills? Everyone to the basement of the school with books covering their heads and then curled up on the floor? Maybe this is a regional thing since the DOE/AEC operated an atomic warhead assembly plant 10 miles outside of town.

8-72214-signature.jpg

/ Have you lived? #103  
Fallout drills were pretty common. The thing I remember most was when they required the younger kids (like me) to be covered by an older kid - who inevitably had not used deoderant or showered for quite some time! <font color=green>/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif </font color=green>

We lived just west of Stewart Airbase and I have vague recollections of everybody being pretty cranked up about Cuba...{i.e. the missle crises}

Andy in NH

/ Have you lived? #104  
AndyR
Growing up during Viet Nam it was a commonplace sound to hear the ordinance plant firing tank rounds, TOWS and other munitions on the test range. 3-4 times a day you'd here a big thunder sound and all the windows would rattle. New kids would move in to town and ask "what was that?" and you'd realize that you hadn't even heard it, it was so common.

Pop worked there for 20+ years pouring TNT and doing "other" jobs. The biggest conventional shell they made were battleship rounds for the 16" guns on the Iowa, Missouri and New Jersey.

8-72214-signature.jpg

/ Have you lived? #105  
Pop worked pouring TNT and "other jobs"!

Man, don't you know it. My dad was, among other things, a demolitions officer in WWII. We never had a normal leaf fire or cookout. Several visits from the fire department. One time, according to my sisters, he set the yard on fire. Almost lost the house. My mom complained to the fire chief that she had to run to the end of the block to the fire alarm pull box(remember those?). They came out the next day and installed a pull box at the end of our driveway! "Just for you, ma'am".

Dad was also an architect and worked on some munitions plant designs in Kingsbury, Indiana after the war. Always talked about being aware of where the blast doors and bunkers were in case something went off in the plant.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ Have you lived? #106  
Pop showed us boys how to make a carbide cannon from an old tabacco can. M80s are for wimps compared to that cannon. The police were regulars at our family 4th of July gatherings! Oh no officer, I assure you we don't have any fireworks here. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Pop died in '83 from a mysterious illness that we found out last year from the DOE/AEC was chronic beryllium diseace.
He wouldn't tell his doctors what chemicals he worked with or what he actually did for a living. We now know that he assembled/disassembled atomic warheads for 20 years and his security clearance forbid him from talking to anyone about it (mom didn't even know.) He went to his grave refusing to break this oath for fear it would put his country at risk.

8-72214-signature.jpg

/ Have you lived? #107  
PitBullMidwest,

Speaking of the Viet Nam era. One of my memories is from the late sixties and early 70's. I would visit my family in Orlando, Fl, and I had a cousin whose house backed up to a cemetery. It was very common to hear the rifle salutes being fired all day long. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Course that the time it really did not register what the salute REALLY meant for the families. For us it was just shooting behind the house. We would walk through the cemetary picking up the spent 30'06 shells......

I was at the same house the day John Wayne died. I still might have the newspaper with the front page story. Ironic in some ways I guess....

Later...
Dan McCarty

/ Have you lived? #108  
Yeah, my dad passed away at age 76 from complications associated with multiple myaloma, a red blood cell cancer. Apparently 90+ percent of the cases are due to radiation exposure. He said he volunteered for experiments on the effects of nerve agents on humans. My guess is it was something else. Anyway, he never regretted it, only regretted he couldn't live longer. He had a living will with a no revive clause. The doctor discussed it with him. He said he meant to use it when he was old! He fought it and was revived 3 times over a 5 week period and each time he revoked it again. He finally OK'd it with me and my sisters and died the next morning. A great inspiration for me. Never complained once. WWII vets , and most other vets for that matter, that I've met, are just plain amazing. I often wonder if I could do the same.

18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ Have you lived? #109  
If you type in Studebaker in Microsoft word, it wants to correct it with "Stud baker". Yeah, I remember my sisters talking about that big stud baker down at the bakery...??

18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ Have you lived? #110  
As it happens, we have a few ex Studebaker owners right here on TBN. Remember these.
Packard, Kaiser, Frazer, Willys, Nash, Desoto.
When I was a kid we had a neighbor who had an Allstate. It was a Henry J. with different logos. I guess they were sold by Sears. I do remember they sold Scooters, Mopeds and even small motorcycles, that they kept on display in their stores.

Ernie