Have you lived?

/ Have you lived? #111  
Ernie, I've driven all the cars you named, except the Allstate; owned one Studebaker Silver Hawk, and I've ridden both scooters (3hp) and motorcyles (250cc) that were Allstates. My cousin still has his '56 Allstate scooter.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Have you lived? #112  
Great memories, I remember going to school and at recess time you could go to the local store and buy, that penny candy. If you had a penny, nickle, or dime, and if you had a quarter you where a big spender. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif And at lunch time you could walk home for lunch, and sometimes I take a friend home with me. Life was so simple then. And I'm only a "57" model. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Have you lived? #113  
My uncle was a Studebaker man. Won 2nd place at nationals for his restored 1959 pickup. He died last month and they carried his casket to graveside in the bed of his truck. His son has a beautiful Silver Hawk that has won a number of awards.

Beautiful vehicles.

PitbullMidwest

/ Have you lived? #114  
I remember sometime in the past you mentioned owning a Silver Hawk.
Can You guess the make and model of this car?

Ernie

Attachments

• 6-84614-mystery.jpg
    6-84614-mystery.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 77
   / Have you lived? #115  
I have a very clear memory of going with an uncle to a Studebaker dealership in Devine TX. We drove home in a brand new 58 Scotsman pickup. It was a sorta light grey, and a plain jane. He paid $1500. for it./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Wish I had that truck now. He traded it in on a Dodge pickup in 69.

Ernie

/ Have you lived? #116  
Lets not forget Hudsons and Nash with the reclining front seats so you could save on a motel and "sleep" comfortably. How about glass wax, and Bon-Ami. Clear unleaded AMOCO gas. Halls and Hathaways trucks that brought baked goods to your door, and Cook Coffy and Jewel Tea. Fuller & Johnson pump jack engine pumping water into the night to fill the stock tank, and irrigate the table garden. The first electric refridgerators with a freezer big enough for 2 trays of ice cubes, and the frozen storage place where they lifted colums of lockers up out of the floor with an overhead crane, so you could get your frozen food out of your locker. How about alcohol antifreeze that you had to check every week to make sure it hadn't evaporated off.

/ Have you lived? #117  
No, Ernie, I don't think I know, or remember, what it is. It does look familiar; not a Fraser is it? My '57 Silver Hawk was a bit unusual (I couldn't afford the Golden Hawk that I really wanted). But my Silver Hawk had the 6 cylinder Champion engine, manual transmission and overdrive.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Have you lived? #118  
Close Bird. It's a 54 Kaiser Darrins.
The designer Dutch Darrins also did some design work for Packard before moving to Kaiser. The production model came with a six. I have read that after Kaiser dropped it, Darrins made a few on his own, and equipped them with a super charged six, and even a few with Caddilac V8s.

Ernie

/ Have you lived? #119  
I live in the home of the Studebaker, South Bend, Indiana!!! There are still quite a few driving around. There is a huge parts distributer still in operation here in town. Most of the old plant that closed in the 60's is still standing, although they are finally starting to tear it down. Everyone wants to maintain the Studebaker legacy, but these buildings are decrepit, run down, rat infested shells that have been near empty for close to 40 years. Its time to let them go. There was an old joke that went like this: Do you work at Studebaker? Reply: I'm employed at Studebaker, no on works at Studebaker. You can still find Stude parts laying around in every woods, ditch, ravine and dry creekbed in the county. It was a tremendous blow to the economy when they closed. Something like 12 thousand workes out of jobs in a town of 100 thousand. Some politician, mayor maybe, made a famous quote. "This is South Bend, Indiana, not Studebaker, Indiana." Well, the town survived, but is very different. White flight to the county. Every major artery into the town is through a bad neighborhood, except from the north. When the president comes to town to visit Notre Dame, they don't even bring him through the town, he makes a round about way. They say due to security, but it is really due to embarassment. Anyway, I feel bad about bashing my home town, but it is borderline hell hole, with a few nice attractions. Anyone else want to bash their hometown? And this, the day after Thanksgiving. I'm ashamed /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ Have you lived?
Speaking of Studebaker, how many remember the Weasel?? Extra credit for any who know it's claim to fame during it's development.

Keep the greasy side down.
Mike