Hay gathering for 35 hp

/ Hay gathering for 35 hp
In your situation, you might consider a Massey 1734 baler. They make an approx 3x4 bale, around 500 lbs.

Here is a video 1734 Round Baler - YouTube
Definitely something else to consider. Didn't know they made round balers that produced bales in the 500lb range

/ Hay gathering for 35 hp #32  
Beaver Valley Supply Company - Legend Bale Accumulator Grapples

You can get accumulators for smaller tractors.

Our hay guy delivers and stacks with a skid steer. He does thousands of small square bales himself with the skid steer for picking them out of the field.

We had 430 bales delivered today. I did not have to touch a single one. I just had to put down the next set of pallets for him when he was ready to start a new stack.

It was easy peasy for him. Took about 2 hrs to unload and stack.

/ Hay gathering for 35 hp #33  
Please clarify what equipment that you have now. It sounds like you have enough tractor, maybe a rake and baler and now you want to pick up bales dropped off by the baler as they are formed out in a field. That right ?

If so, are you willing to buy another baler to make rounds, then pick up heavy rounds, store rounds, move rounds to a feeder and clean up the mess?

Is your baler reliable enough to make perfectly sized and tied square bales ? If not, then a hay-basket or accumulator or grapple will make a serious mess in a wagon or field because it will take a while to spot the problem. And the missed tie(s) may result in a damaged knotter if the twine wraps up around the duck-bill and breaks these parts or the cutoff knife assembly.

Why does it take 4 people to handle bales up the elevator and pack the hay mow ? Around here, 2 is plenty, unless they like tripping over each other.

I do the whole job by myself, about 700 - 900 bales per year. I run my mower for 20 minutes in 2nd range and first gear. This produces about 120 bales when processed. I wait a few days and start up again. I use my NH-1012 stacker self-unload feature sometimes (pops out 8 at a time automatically), they jump on the ground elevator and onto a mow elevator. When I feel like it, I restack the mow into stacks of 10, 3 high. This gives me the count for winter use and need, lets me decide to sell some based on inventory. My mow elevator runs both ways so I can plop them onto a trailer or pickup bed for buying customers from the mow exit.

All my equipment is old (almost as old as I am) and is kept in nice condition (not pretty, but 'nice'). No need for a second tractor (although I pulled a rake once with a Corvette (I added a trailer hitch). Loose hay got wrapped up in one of the axle shafts: not recommended.

/ Hay gathering for 35 hp
Please clarify what equipment that you have now. It sounds like you have enough tractor, maybe a rake and baler and now you want to pick up bales dropped off by the baler as they are formed out in a field. That right ?

den75 -Currently only have the 35 hp. tractor as I'm just beginning to research cutting my own hay so I'm wide open for options. And yes, if I square bale, which is my preference, I need a way to move those bales out of the field and stack them in the barn with limited man power

If so, are you willing to buy another baler to make rounds, then pick up heavy rounds, store rounds, move rounds to a feeder and clean up the mess?

den75- Large rounds aren't my preferred method of feeding. Just doesn't fit my setup. Each horse is in his own paddock/dry lot most of the winter and not all fed together.

Is your baler reliable enough to make perfectly sized and tied square bales ? If not, then a hay-basket or accumulator or grapple will make a serious mess in a wagon or field because it will take a while to spot the problem. And the missed tie(s) may result in a damaged knotter if the twine wraps up around the duck-bill and breaks these parts or the cutoff knife assembly.

Why does it take 4 people to handle bales up the elevator and pack the hay mow ? Around here, 2 is plenty, unless they like tripping over each other.

den75- I don't have an elevator and bales are not stored in a hay loft. They are stored in an old tobacco pole barn which is not wide open so I don't have a lot of room to maneuver a tractor or anything else around to stack the bales. It's all done manually.

I do the whole job by myself, about 700 - 900 bales per year. I run my mower for 20 minutes in 2nd range and first gear. This produces about 120 bales when processed. I wait a few days and start up again. I use my NH-1012 stacker self-unload feature sometimes (pops out 8 at a time automatically), they jump on the ground elevator and onto a mow elevator. When I feel like it, I restack the mow into stacks of 10, 3 high. This gives me the count for winter use and need, lets me decide to sell some based on inventory. My mow elevator runs both ways so I can plop them onto a trailer or pickup bed for buying customers from the mow exit.

den75- I don't have the room to unload the 1012 in the barn automatically. See above answer about the elevator. Also, I really need to get the hay cut all at once as weather permits. If I only partially cut and bale I could be waiting 2-3 weeks or more for dependable weather to cut and bale again as it's not uncommon to get 60-80% chance of thunderstorms for days on end. Sometimes we get them, sometimes not, but can't take the chance cutting hay.

All my equipment is old (almost as old as I am) and is kept in nice condition (not pretty, but 'nice'). No need for a second tractor (although I pulled a rake once with a Corvette (I added a trailer hitch). Loose hay got wrapped up in one of the axle shafts: not recommended.

den75- Yeah, My wife and I are both 60 so man handling hundreds of bales of hay at a time isn't as easy as it used to be.

Answers above

/ Hay gathering for 35 hp #35  
@ powerscol

How many bales can you comfortably put on the ground AND get on a trailer(s) in a day?

A little over 300 if I can start early on the baling. I can move close to 600 in a day if they are on the ground when I start (my record). I can get about 175 on the trailer before my mule complains, or I get nervous moving it

/ Hay gathering for 35 hp #36  
Do you use an accumulator to get the bales together first?

No. I can grab 4 in less than a minute and create mini stacks around the field, then load the trailer. When I create the stacks I keep in mind I need cross loaded bale sets (4 sideways) to create interlocking.
But I hope to get one in the future. Would really make things go faster.

This is the one that would work for me
8 Bale Flat | Kuhns Mfg LLC | North Bloomfield, OH

/ Hay gathering for 35 hp #37  
Beaver Valley Supply Company - Legend Bale Accumulator Grapples

You can get accumulators for smaller tractors.

Our hay guy delivers and stacks with a skid steer. He does thousands of small square bales himself with the skid steer for picking them out of the field.

We had 430 bales delivered today. I did not have to touch a single one. I just had to put down the next set of pallets for him when he was ready to start a new stack.

It was easy peasy for him. Took about 2 hrs to unload and stack.

Keep in mind that unit has that fixed center bar. Becomes an issue in getting a tight stack. Also takes a pretty good size tractor. Remember you lifting the weight of the grabber unit and bales. I went with the smaller one for ease of use in my barn and not needing ballast over and above my filled tires