HAZMAT-TRACTOR?

/ HAZMAT-TRACTOR? #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
With the latest recall of toys from China dealing with lead paint, I wonder how many of us have a hazardous tractor (from the components it's made from, not from driver actions)? I think my 49-52 year model Farmall still has the original brakes on it (probably with asbestos), and if it had any paint on it, it too would probably have lead in it. Does anyone think the imports coming into the country have any of these concerns?

/ HAZMAT-TRACTOR? #2  
Does a bear $%^%$ in the woods?

/ HAZMAT-TRACTOR? #3  
DO NOT- I REPEAT- DO NOT lick the tractor! :)

/ HAZMAT-TRACTOR? #5  
Some of the old parts were cadmium plated. Well, they don't even have to be very old to be cadmium plated....
[which brings up a peripheral anecdote-- Europe is big on RoHS (reduction of hazardous substances). An interesting side effect is that a competitor can study competing products, and in one case they found that a game console's cables exceeded the limites for toxic metals (cadmium in this case if I recall correctly). The cables were stopped at the port of entry, making the consoles useless until new cables could be fabricated, tested, and shipped. Of course, this gave other competitors an edge selling....]

It would also be possible that some old contactors would have mercury, but maybe tractors were too cheap for expensive mercury wetted contactors.

/ HAZMAT-TRACTOR? #6  
Morn BTDT.
If we only knew really what's going into our clothes,tractor,toy's might scare the heck out of us,but least someone trying there best to keep those in line.

Every wonder whats melted in your coffee cup. ;)

/ HAZMAT-TRACTOR? #7  
As more research is done more problems are found with once thought safe products.

Asbestos was once the miracle fiber, they were going to make children's pajamas out of it for safety concerns. I think kids PJs are still treated with a fire retardant, seems PJs catching fire were a problem not to long ago.

The secret to long life is to choose your ancestors very carefully. ;)

/ HAZMAT-TRACTOR? #8  
Life has never been "safe" and we're all going to die. There have always been killjoys and people who think their role is to tell others what to do. The group currently pulling the environmental and product safety levers are of this ilk. They hide behind the environment and safety memes to justify their existence, the mandates they impose, and the problems they cause.

Do any of you think perfect safety is an achievable goal? Do you think there might be a sensible point of diminishing returns where the cost far out weighs any foreseeable benefit? Do you think the environment/safety czars will stop at this point (or anywhere)? Do you know of any checks/balances/oversight that apply to these regulatory groups? (I don't)

How long will the citizens of this 'free' country let common sense in these matters be defined by government employees who have a vested interest in justifying their jobs and maintaining their influence....in other words, people who have a vested interest in never saying "clean enough" or "safe enough"?

/rant off - moderators, if too political, delete at will...no explanation needed.
Bob

/ HAZMAT-TRACTOR? #9  
Yep there is lead paint a over the place. The steel buildings have lead paint, only the house paint is lead free (after '78). The Fed Goverment past a law that there should be no lead paint on coffee type cups and other dishes, but other countries are allowed to import lead painted dishes and cups. (At least that's what they said on the news a few years ago.)

/ HAZMAT-TRACTOR? #10  
Q: Do any of you think perfect safety is an achievable goal?
A: Of course not.

Q: Do you think there might be a sensible point of diminishing returns where the cost far out weighs any foreseeable benefit?
A: Yes. We passed it many years ago.

Q: Do you think the environment/safety czars will stop at this point (or anywhere)?
A: No - they answered Yes to the first question.

Q: Do you know of any checks/balances/oversight that apply to these regulatory groups? (I don't)
A: I guess we need to "appoint" an anti-safety czar...?