Hearing Aids?

/ Hearing Aids? #31  
I remember reading someplace that lose of hearing was a statistical factor in suicide in older males. Meaning, they didn't identify the specific cause, but that the numbers indicated a connection. I'm assuming because as PuffC mentioned, social isolation.

/ Hearing Aids? #32  
Years ago my Dad worked for Sears in plumbing department. This old deaf guy comes in and after about the fifth "what?" Dad started assembling plumbing pipe. A co-worker asked what the heck Dad was doing. He had the fellow hold one end to his ear while Dad yelled in other end.
Dad was a hoot.
Dad said that same co-worker went to a water park on vacation which they had to shut down the water slide for a while as the guy lost his dentures, hearing aids and toupee on the way down.

/ Hearing Aids? #33  
My dad doesn't want to let on that he can't hear. Either he misunderstands what I'm talking about and takes off on some tangent or he just blankly stares at me. Yelling would be better because at least we would be communicating. It was exactly like his dad when he was still alive. We didn't communicate very well when both of us could hear and now it is much worse if he has a hard time hearing. I always longed for great father/son conversations but we never really went there. :(

/ Hearing Aids? #34  
I noticed that I had a harder time understanding people that were wearing masks. I suffer from tinnitus and I thought they were mumbling. I now believe that I understand people better if I watch their lips while they're talking.

/ Hearing Aids? #35  
Yep, noticed that too.
I noticed that I had a harder time understanding people that were wearing masks. I suffer from tinnitus and I thought they were mumbling. I now believe that I understand people better if I watch their lips while they're talking.

/ Hearing Aids? #36  
I was kept from going completely deaf with otosclerosis about 40 years ago by getting a stapedectomy in my right ear at that time. Had like Superman hearing for a week or so until my brain turned the volume down. About 20 years later the left ear developed it as well but also had some nerve damage. The stapedectomy didn't bring the Superman hearing like the right ear.

Finally about 15 years ago, I got Starkey hearing aids from the medical people at $2,000 each programmed for each ear. I don't wear them outside at home nor in the house. The wife talks to me like a computer, and I hear her. If she doesn't, I don't.

Need captions to watch TV. No captions: tune in something else.

I'm getting some relief at last from tinnitus via acupuncture. Hooray! Two years in a row, creeping charlie tea stopped it, but only for about 2 weeks about mid May. My tinnitus was volume and frequency matched via my audiologist's work. Was 85 dB. She was looking to use a cancelling background noise. Try screaming.

Last edited:
   / Hearing Aids? #37  
My dad passed away about two years ago from Alzheimers. Prior to him being diagnosed we got him hearing aids to the tune of about 4K dollars after insurance kicked in. He hated them n never used them. His doctor told us there is a correlation between lack of hearing and Alzheimers. There is a lot of research out there connecting the two. If you never walked the Alzheimer’s walk with a family member it sucks. The only good side is when they pass away there are no tears. Just relief for the patient and the family left behind.

/ Hearing Aids? #39  
I work with a guy that is hearing impaired. He knows it, as he tells us he's hearing impaired. However, he knows it, but won't do anything about it. He gets things wrong, argues a lot, and is generally a **** a couple times a week. We make sure to face him when we're talking, send emails, etc... so he can read it. Working with him during the pandemic was very hard. We keep suggesting hearing aids, but he's the kind of guy that says we should make sure he hears us. It gets to the point you don't want to work with him.

/ Hearing Aids? #40  
Yesterday I needed to pound in 4 metal T posts on one of my remote properties. I did not have hearing protection in the vehicle that I was in, but I pounded the posts in anyway. It is unlike me to be without hearing protection, but I needed to get the posts in. Today I have muffled hearing a bit which usually will go away. I know these losses are slight but the law of diminishing returns is in play. I ordered a set of 3M 101 dB muffs to keep in that vehicle so I do not get caught again. Cheap insurance, they will be here tomorrow thanks to Jeff Bezos.