help !! 2305 had transmission leak

/ help !! 2305 had transmission leak #1  

etcallhome

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 1026R
While mowing tonight ,very wet grass, it seems like my power steering was hanging up at times and seemed like mower was lugging engine.. Stopped and put tractor on about a 30 degree angle front to back. to see if mower was clogged. Very little grass under deck.
backed tractor up to put away for evening .and I noticed a leak under the tractor.
When I looked it seemed to be leaking around the transmission filter.
Removed the filter thinking filter had cracked open . Could find no problem.
I did notice the fluid seemed be coming around the square head plug near the filter.NOT THE DRAIN PLUG HEX HEAD!!
Checked and yes it was loose. so I tightned it up. put the filter back on. started the tractor no leak but now the 3 pt lift on back of tractor will not work. seems to have no pressure to 3pt all.
So now my question is does that plug I tightned control the 3pt lift everything seems to work. and if that is the problem how loose should this plug be.?????
Thanks for any help !!

/ help !! 2305 had transmission leak #2  
Did you check the fluid level?? It may have got air in system if low on fluid.

/ help !! 2305 had transmission leak
Sorry I should have included that in the first post.. I added maybe 4-6 oz of fluid.
according to sight glass fluid is in the middle to 3/4 full.
This was after sitting appx 20 min after putting everything back together.
Thought I would recheck levels tomorrow evening and may call dealer and see if he has an clue as to what is going on.

/ help !! 2305 had transmission leak #4  
Sorry I should have included that in the first post.. I added maybe 4-6 oz of fluid.
according to sight glass fluid is in the middle to 3/4 full.
This was after sitting appx 20 min after putting everything back together.
Thought I would recheck levels tomorrow evening and may call dealer and see if he has an clue as to what is going on.

Take a reading from the dipstick once the tractor has cooled for about an hour. This will give you the most accurate reading of the amount of fluid in the tractor. Just going by the sight glass isn't as accurate as the dipstick.

Also, I don't think the plug you tightened had anything to do with the 3pt not moving. After you check the fluid tomorrow, fire it up and see what it does.

Just came up from starting up tractor.
1 it has no dipstick ! just site glass
2 I forgot to check site glass !! da da just in a hurry before going to work
3 after starting tractor -------- 3pt still NOT working !!
4 will check site glass tonight before I start tractor!!
While cleaning out from under the --I did turn the tractor turned off !! and only drove it above 35-45ft after restarting ,till I parked it . When backing the tractor down off the incline that is the first I had seen any fluid leak on the gravel drive !!
There was no sign of a leak when I pulled tractor up on this incline.!!

Going to call dealer and see if he has any clue

Will keep everyone informed of the outcome !!!

Thanks for the help !!

/ help !! 2305 had transmission leak #6  
My mistake then. There could be a particle blocking the valve inside the transmission that controls the 3pt.

/ help !! 2305 had transmission leak #7  
et,

I had a similar leak in my 2305 after changing the hydraulic fluid at the 50-hour mark. I noticed it almost immediately but didn't want to mess with pulling the mower deck out from under it after spending some time getting it perfectly adjusted. So I watched the sight glass and added a few ounces now and then. I think I lost about two ounces per hour of operation. At the 100-hour mark I pulled the deck out and found that square-head plug next to the filter leaking. Tightened it up and the leak stopped. My 3-point hitch works fine; I don't think there's any connection between the depth of the plug and the operation of the hitch.

I think you either don't have enough fluid in the tractor or there is an obstruction in the valve, as WH401 opined.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers,
Mark

Just did a quick glance this evening and fluid is about 1/4 -1/3 up in site glass.
Going to add some more fluid
Also called dealer and he said same thing he didn't think this plug being loose or to tight would cause the problem of no 3pt

I'm gloing down to add fluid and see if this helps.

Not sure where the obstruction would be or where it may have come from if that would be the trouble ??
Thanks will let you know later what if anything I find out.!!

While I'm thinking about this Service manager wanted to know if hyd on fel worked so after adding fluid and STILL NO 3PT I'm going to pull over to the fel and see if everything there works.

Later

/ help !! 2305 had transmission leak #10  
While mowing tonight ,very wet grass, it seems like my power steering was hanging up at times and seemed like mower was lugging engine.. Stopped and put tractor on about a 30 degree angle front to back. to see if mower was clogged. Very little grass under deck.
backed tractor up to put away for evening .and I noticed a leak under the tractor.
When I looked it seemed to be leaking around the transmission filter.
Removed the filter thinking filter had cracked open . Could find no problem.
I did notice the fluid seemed be coming around the square head plug near the filter.NOT THE DRAIN PLUG HEX HEAD!!
Checked and yes it was loose. so I tightned it up. put the filter back on. started the tractor no leak but now the 3 pt lift on back of tractor will not work. seems to have no pressure to 3pt all.
So now my question is does that plug I tightned control the 3pt lift everything seems to work. and if that is the problem how loose should this plug be.?????
Thanks for any help !!

I am not familiar with the John Deere 2305, but is like most compact and has a three point control valve under the seat that if turned will lock the 3 point and prevent it from raising and lowering???