Help me identify this noise.

/ Help me identify this noise.
The
I would replace both bearings, and with non-Chinese bearings, if you can get them. Personally, I only put cheap bearings in light load, low use, easy to service uses.

If you have a real groove cut, you may want to sand out the groove as a few imperfections can trash a seal pretty quickly. You could try to find an oversized seal. (I have never had much luck trying to do that, but it might be a lucky size.) If it is really bad, a good machinist could spray weld new metal on and get it back to size.

All the best,

Peter
The wear collar get replaced with the seal. You can see it laying above the dead blow and below the snap ring pliers in the pic. Its about 2"s in diameter and provides the seal a sacrificial surface to ride on.

/ Help me identify this noise. #32  
One other point I saw in the manual - the number stamped on the outer bearing goes toward outside.

I noticed that on the drawing I got. Thanks for mentioning that again. I will make sure I put it back on that way. I don't remember show they were. What about the inner bearing does the number still face outside the tractor?

/ Help me identify this noise. #34  
I noticed that on the drawing I got. Thanks for mentioning that again. I will make sure I put it back on that way. I don't remember show they were. What about the inner bearing does the number still face outside the tractor?
I didn't understand what I read, so I didn't quote it. For the inner bearing I think it said the number should face out. Which could mean toward the wheel, or, could mean number visible as you press the bearing onto that end of the axle. :unsure: I think something got lost in translation.

All I can suggest is examine the existing bearing before removing it.

I'm back over to our home in town now so I don't have access to the manuals at the ranch, for another week.

I didn't understand what I read, so I didn't quote it. For the inner bearing I think it said the number should face out. Which could mean toward the wheel, or, could mean number visible as you press the bearing onto that end of the axle. :unsure: I think something got lost in translation.

All I can suggest is examine the existing bearing before removing it.

I'm back over to our home in town now so I don't have access to the manuals at the ranch, for another week.
Well there out now and I didn't notice. I don't see any difference in the bearings sides? But these appear to be common bearings in transfer cases and like manual transmissions so I would guess if it mattered it would also be specified in other applications the direction the bearing faces.

/ Help me identify this noise. #36  
Makes no difference on a non shielded or non sealed 6209 bearing.

Here are a few more pics for those who want to see more details and for those who like to see how this stuff comes apart.
IMG_20210930_185256275.jpg
IMG_20210930_185247299.jpg
124792.jpeg

/ Help me identify this noise. #38  
Does the inner bearing slide out still attached to the axle, or do you need to drive it out toward the bull gear using a pipe etc?

Does the inner bearing slide out still attached to the axle, or do you need to drive it out toward the bull gear using a pipe etc?
No it Just pulls out of the housing by hand. Its a slip fit, not press. Pull the shaft out, to let that bull gear clear the diff lock on that side. Bull gear let drop down and angled out from under the fork. I set it over to the side and you just pull the bearing out. Comes out to the inside of the trans housing. You can see it's machined surface .

Last edited:
   / Help me identify this noise. #40  
No it Just pulls out of the housing by hand. Its a slip fit, not press. Pull able out to let that bull gear clear the diff lock on that side. Bull gear let drop down and angled out from under the fork. I set it over to the side and you just pull the bearing out. Comes out to the inside of the trans housing. You can see it's machined surface .
Thanks! I didn't know that.

I should tear down that axle assembly I have with its hinge pin ripped out, and put the components on Ebay. I paid $85 shipping for its replacement so it wouldn't be reasonable to offer the intact assembly, because shipping would cost too much. But selling the hub, axle shaft, etc individually might recover some of my repair cost.