Help! SSQA to a JDQA Grapple?

/ Help! SSQA to a JDQA Grapple? #1  

Ribz

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 4740
After researching grapples, I decided to pull the trigger on a third function for the FEL on my Kubota Grand L 4740. Had the dealer install the kit and I should be ready to go. After looking at a number of companies and reading people's opinions, the Wicked 55 was my choice. Called to talk about ordering only to find out the extremely long wait. I was told 8-12 weeks minimum.

So... Scoured the net for a used one. I found only one, but it was only two hours away. 2009 model that was barely used. Yay me. Drove up, saw it operate on the ground hooked up to rear remotes on a non FEL Deere on the lot. It's a JD dealership. He said he didn't have anything else to demo it working. The salesman knew I was putting it on a Kubota. I didn't think to ask, even though it looked different, about the set up. I was more concerned about leaks, and working cylinders and got distracted. You can probably see where this is going.

Get home only to discover it's built for JDQA, my Kubota is of course SSQA.

Am I screwed, or is there a cost effective way to hook up this grapple? It's the only used one in the country I can find. With the wait time for a new one being SO long it will be fall before I could get one and I have projects I was planning in the coming weeks. Don't want to waste money renting. Most are too heavy to leave me much lift capacity. Loaders themself eat up about half of my capacity on the LA 854 FEL.

Signed,

Befuddled in Kentucky

/ Help! SSQA to a JDQA Grapple? #3  
There are probably adapters to take jdqa to ssqa. However, by the time you buy it and get it the way you need it you definitely haven't saved any money. I call the dealer and tell him it was a mistake you need to take it back. At least try

/ Help! SSQA to a JDQA Grapple? #4  
That is such a common problem that local JD dealers used to have those adapters for sale. The dealer might even have a used one and certainly knows where to find one.

I'd say that making sure it is the right implement for the customer is part of the dealer's responsibility.
In this case it sounds like their salesman should make it right.

They have cost you time and aggrevation. Around here that is something every dealer works hard to avoid. If they have an adapter, they may want to cover the delivery .
rScotty

BTW, I bought my Titan SSQA/3pt adapter plates from a Kubota dealer who stocks Titan adapters.

/ Help! SSQA to a JDQA Grapple? #5  
Cut the JD mount ears off and order an inexpensive SSQA plate to weld on.

/ Help! SSQA to a JDQA Grapple?
Peter 315, that looks like the ticket! Thanks you so much.

Yander, taking it back would cost me a tank of diesel and about 5 hours round trip. There isn't another available that I can find. This one is half the price of a new one and immediately available. If I end up another $315 into it, I think I'm still good. Seems like it opens my resale possibilities if it then fits either system. At 92 lbs, it isn't cutting into my lift capacity too bad. This adapter appears to just clip on with no welding. I'll have to check with Everything Attachments Monday and make sure there aren't any issues with this set up.

/ Help! SSQA to a JDQA Grapple? #7  
I wouldn't mess with an adapter, just get it welded up to SSQA. Cut off the pins and JD ears and have SSQA welded on.

/ Help! SSQA to a JDQA Grapple?
I wouldn't mess with an adapter, just get it welded up to SSQA. Cut off the pins and JD ears and have SSQA welded on.
Thanks for responding, but why? What's the advantage?

/ Help! SSQA to a JDQA Grapple? #9  
Thanks for responding, but why? What's the advantage?
Less weight overall and less slop in the connections.

You can make sure you are using good steel and having it welded up correctly if you either do it your self or have someone you trust convert it.

Makes it easier for you to sell if you decide to get rid of it later for some reason.

/ Help! SSQA to a JDQA Grapple? #10  

If you have a welder it would be cheaper, it would be less slop, and probably lighter.