Help! with V belt sizing

/ Help! with V belt sizing #12  
Its a mini tiller, which is for snow.
That helps a little - altho I am not familiar. Things related to drive come to mind that may have specific influence based on options offered by the tiller. Do you have a link that better describes the equipment?

/ Help! with V belt sizing
That helps a little - altho I am not familiar. Things related to drive come to mind that may have specific influence based on options offered by the tiller. Do you have a link that better describes the equipment?

Not many people outside of the very specialized XC or Alpine industry would. Here is a couple of videos that "barely" show them at work. The videos goal is to sell you the machine, not show you how a tiller works.

PRINOTH NORDIC LINER - YouTube

Snow Groomer Snow Rabbit 3 preparing winter road - YouTube

/ Help! with V belt sizing #14  
Not many people outside of the very specialized XC or Alpine industry would. Here is a couple of videos that "barely" show them at work. The videos goal is to sell you the machine, not show you how a tiller works.

PRINOTH NORDIC LINER - YouTube

Snow Groomer Snow Rabbit 3 preparing winter road - YouTube
I see more than 35HP being used. What part of that composite is the "tiller"? Neither attachment appears to have an engine, but be hydraulically powered from the tracked vehicle.

A pair of 5vx belts on a 5.5" or larger pulley will work fine

As far as I can find on google, these belts require these slightly more narrow sheaves? copied below. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------

Narrow Wedge Sheaves - For 5VX, Belts

/ Help! with V belt sizing #16  
a single A belt is used as a clutch/power for many 20 hp lawn tractors, and lasts quite long. a single BX or 5VX belt would be good for your 35 HP..

/ Help! with V belt sizing #17  
a single A belt is used as a clutch/power for many 20 hp lawn tractors, and lasts quite long. a single BX or 5VX belt would be good for your 35 HP..

A single b or bx "sized" belt is used on many 25 hp zero turns. But they aren't a typical belt. Mower belts are different. Put a commercial grade B on a mower of 25 hp and they don't last.

Now we are talking an extra 10 hp.....

If it is actually gonna transmit 35 hp.....stick with the formulas. Pair of 5vx like I said earlier. And go a little bigger on the pullies

/ Help! with V belt sizing #18  
My concern is that V belts would be susceptible to slippage due to wet as in snow.
Granted snow sleds use belts but generally the protected cab area.

/ Help! with V belt sizing #19  
the Idler is on the wrong side, should be on the other side not the side that is pulling, but the side is Idling, check out a belt clutch lawn mower,

the other possibilities I think may work is a electric clutch, or even a centrifugal clutch, of course they would have to sized to the power produced,
hydraulic drive,

The idler will be on whatever side is not under tension. Snow blowers and 100's of other machine types do fine in snow will belt drives. I looked for an electric clutches with shaft sizes that would be appropriate for these 35hp-+ engines and couldn't find much. If you can locate one for a CH1000-2026 40hp Kohler Command Pro Horizontal Shaft Engine, please point it out. Nonetheless, my actuator clutch system can be assembled for $100 and rates as a KISS assembly in my book amateur ME.. A hydrostatic drive will lose in the area of 25% of the engines HP and force the tiller to be that much shorter, than I'd like to use. This is why we'd not consider that type of drive.

the Idler is on the wrong side, should be on the other side not the side that is pulling, but the side is Idling, check out a belt clutch lawn mower,
the other possibilities I think may work is a electric clutch, or even a centrifugal clutch, of course they would have to sized to the power produced,
hydraulic drive,

Last edited: