Help with valve and cylinder problem

/ Help with valve and cylinder problem #11  
In a Power Beyond configuration, the OUT port, AKA "T" for Tank carries the "waste" oil from the cylinders/work ports to the sump to get cooled and recirculated.

/ Help with valve and cylinder problem
Got this straightened out. As stated, the tank port being blocked was the problem. I'm not sure why Baileys stated to put the PB plug into the tank port, obviously that was wrong. That caused me to assume that the waste flow from the cylinder would be routed into the PB circuit. All is well now, at least with the hydraulic portion.

However, I seem to have gotten the geometry way off on the cylinder. In my mind it seemed to make sense that the higher the hydro cylinder pivot point, the more closing force it would have. This probably still holds true but it severely limits the opening width of the grapple. So I'm back to the drawing board on that part. Looking at pictures of commercial units, they all use a very short ram, and the pivot on the bucket is pretty low down, nearly even with the pivot points for the grapple itself. I guess now that its all assembled, I need to do the pvc trick to determine an appropriate cylinder

/ Help with valve and cylinder problem #13  
Scott, I had a heck of time setting mine up. I finally got them to open as wide as they could without hitting the FEL cylinders when the bucket is rolled clear back. I wanted them to pinch so when they are clamped shut they still have 1/4" of stroke left on the cylinders. If ya look at this pic you can get an idea how wide they open.

20140614_115919 (1280x720).jpg

Heck yeah, thats perfect. Exactly what I want mine to do. I realized after I had welded up the tines that I put them directly in line with the rams, so I was figuring that was going to become a problem. At the moment though, I have the ram length and angle so far off that its not even close to being a concern.

Do you possibly have a picture showing the angles on your setup? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. My theory was that it has to be mounted above the pivot points for the tines, but I may be wrong. Maybe it just has to be above the opposite end of the ram? It seems that at some point, if done wrong, it will bind up and just be pushing against itself. I don't want to fab up a bunch of stuff just to have that happen...

/ Help with valve and cylinder problem #15  
Scott65, can you post some pictures of your setup?

This shows how Loflin did it on the Monster Grapple.

Note the base end pivot is above and behind the pivot for the tines.
Loflin MG.jpg

P4110007.JPG

And their Root Grapple.
rootgrapple.gif

root grapple for catalogue.JPG

Last edited:
Xfaxman, great pictures, thanks very much! I have looked at alot of various setups, but haven't run across dimensional drawings like that. Thats great. I'll try to get some pics soon, my phone is broken which was my camera. I've got a loaner, not sure how good the camera is on it but I'll try it out maybe this evening.

My ram is setup sort of similar, but I think I just went overboard. I went up and back with it, but probably too high. I raised it so it would have downward closing force to hold branches and such. Its also much longer I believe. I've read specs on some and they are using a 6" cylinder. I assume they are referring to the stroke. Mine required 10" to get the necessary travel. So on the up stroke, it bottoms out since the cylinder sleeve is so long

/ Help with valve and cylinder problem #17  
Heck yeah, thats perfect. Exactly what I want mine to do. I realized after I had welded up the tines that I put them directly in line with the rams, so I was figuring that was going to become a problem. At the moment though, I have the ram length and angle so far off that its not even close to being a concern.

Do you possibly have a picture showing the angles on your setup? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. My theory was that it has to be mounted above the pivot points for the tines, but I may be wrong. Maybe it just has to be above the opposite end of the ram? It seems that at some point, if done wrong, it will bind up and just be pushing against itself. I don't want to fab up a bunch of stuff just to have that happen...

Lets see what I can come up with. These are all I could find that might help you. But probably not. It's a ***** figuring all that out. Took me a full day.

DSC04666.JPGDSC04667.JPGDSC04668.JPGDSC04669.JPGDSC04670.JPGDSC04671.JPG

Very nice ovrszd! I really like that setup. I didn't spend nearly as much time as you did. Mine is simple and quite ugly next to yours. Maybe one day I'll go back and redo it. For now I just needed it semi-functional. I have some piles of junk I need to get cleaned up. I took some pictures this morning, I'm going to see if I can remember how to post them.

Ok, don't laugh. My fab skills pale in comparison to everyone else's. It always starts out nice in my head but I quickly tire of grinding and measuring so I just "make it work".

grapple1.jpg
grapple2.jpg
grapple3.jpg
grapplevalve.jpg

/ Help with valve and cylinder problem #20  
:thumbsup: Looks good to me Scott