Helping Neighbors is Awsome!

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #21  
So far, my neighbors won't let me do anything fun. There are only 80 hours on the BX24 - and on me since I'm a noob - and they seem to know that. Can't say I blame them, I'm probably unsafe at any speed.

So far, I've only gotten to dig a hole in a dog graveyard, and a ditch for a drain. Maybe once I get to 100hrs...

Z.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #22  
Did the same here last week. Saw neighbor and his kid digging footings for his new deck with a pair of shovels!!! Would have taken him days to do it. Popped over with the 7800 and dug out 6 holes for his footings in maybe an hour!

He wanted to pay me but I refused...he popped over the other day with 5 gals of diesel and a case of beer! I never say no to beer!

Hard to beat the taste of free beer...:D

Dad used to say only thing better than free beer is free COLD beer! :thumbsup:

We moved in June of last year and my former 87 yr young neighbor still talks to everyone about how nice it was of me to bring her trash can in from the street every week and how I'd cut her lawn (less than a 1/4 acre) sometimes to save her from paying someone else... It didn't take much time but it sure felt good to hear her tell me how much it ment. Her husband (passed away 3 years ago) was a WWII bomber pilot in Africa and the Pacific...It's absolutely the least I could do for what he gave to me.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #23  
The first winter I had my old B3200, my area received back to back snow storms in a weeks time totaling over 2 feet of snow. I was plowing my road and as I was passing by one of the houses the new tenants (husband and wife) were shoveling their large driveway. This particualr storm dumped about 15 inches of snow. The woman was shoveling and her husband's arm was in a sling and he was doing the best he could do with one arm. I said H3LL no, and knocked out their driveway in about 25 minutes. They tried to pay me and I refused. The next day I had a plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies on my doorstep with a thank you note.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #24  
My one and only neighbor was building a garage. The concrete contractor came over one evening when it was 90 and humid to move a tri-axle load of pea gravel into the garage in prep for the crete.

While I was eating dinner I watched him loading a wheel barrow....Finally, I couldn't take it...Went over to see what his plans were. He said it should only take 4-5 hrs to move the gravel and level it (by now he's a sweaty mess). I told him I'd be right back...Should have seen to look on his face when the BX23 and FEL cam up the driveway...1.5 hours later the pile was gone and ready for concrete...

Just the smile on his face made it worthwhile....He did "force" a case of Coors Light one me a few days later, I tried not to take it...But didn't try too hard.:D

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #25  
Helping the neighbors is a way of life for me. I currently have one neighbor on a service deployment and I have done everything from babysit the kids, mow grass and shovel snow to help his family. Another neighbor was also in the service and I cleared his driveway of snow many times. I haven't even had my tractor for a week, but I am sure it will be used many times to help my neighbors.

We have a very tight group of neighbors that gather almost weekly for cook-outs and to let our kids play. It is a good life.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #26  
Helping the neighbors is a way of life for me.

We have a very tight group of neighbors that gather almost weekly for cook-outs and to let our kids play. It is a good life.

Now having and helping neighbors, makes it a great way of life, and makes it worth the living, for me. Its nothing like good neighbors. Living in the south, its just how things are.

I some times, now that fuel is so high, will take $10 ever so often, just to make them feel like they contribuited. I also trade out favers, I can't use a weed eater, or bend over to much becasue of my back, so I use tractor mower on there yard, and they help me pick up sticks, and weedeat. Works out best for all.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #27  
During the winter of 09-10 I was in the hospital for a month during my chemo:( (that really sucks), my neighbor helped plow my driveway. This year I was able to repay the favor. I just cringed though, hearing the gravel in my snowblower. After I finished his, his neighbor's wife was out attempting to blow her driveway. I spent 10 minutes finishing it for her. I was a little surprised when she complained it should be wider and I did not get a thank you. But I would help again if needed.

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #28  
I can remember the times I shoveled driveways, then wrestled with walk-behind snowblowers as I got older, now finally I can relax and clear snow in relative comfort.

I think it's remembering how hard that work is that makes it so satisfying to help out neighbours that aren't so fortunate, or just have different lifestyles that don't include machinery to handle miserable jobs like that.

Occasionally I get a little "something" in return, but that's not why we do it in the first place.

Sean

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #29  
I have done my share of "helping" neighbors and friends, but if the truth were told it is more like getting more play time on my tractor. So I feel a little guilty when they are so appreciative of me "playing"

Take Care
Doug in SW IA

/ Helping Neighbors is Awsome! #30  
Winter before last we had record snowfall amounts. My neighbor has a private road that was covered in waist deep snow. I let him borrow my L5030 to plow his way to his home and his tractor. I had to go out of town so I let him use my tractor for an entire week. He was actually out making money with it digging out neighbors. Two weeks ago my front axle bearings went out and I asked to use his tractor for a couple of hours to pull a small dump trailer. He said no. I have kissed this guy's butt for the past 8 1/2 years trying to be a good neighbor. I'm done with it. To top it off the guy is mad at me for letting him know what a one-way jerk that he is.