Hobart 160i questions

/ Hobart 160i questions #1  

BAP

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2920 Loader, BH65, 60"MMM, B2782B snowblower, Forks , Woods 48" bush hog
Looking to see if anyone has experience with the Hobart 160i welder. I am considering one because I want a stick welder and want to be able to weld heavier stuff than my old Lincoln 110 mig can. The Hobart to have a good price for it’s capability. Also, my power supply in my garage is limited to the 60amp panel and I don’t have a lot of storage room, otherwise I would buy an old Tombstone welder.

/ Hobart 160i questions #2  
Get a primeweld 225x and have tig and arc welder

/ Hobart 160i questions #3  
An "old tombstone" pulls 45-50 amps wide open,balls to the wall max so your 60 amp service is plenty to run welder plus lighting on rare occasions where you are at max amps welding. From an output amp to input amp ratio standpoint wire welders outperform stick so a wire can do well on 220v @ 30amps.

/ Hobart 160i questions #4  
I have a 160i which I do some medium welding Normally running about 100 amp. Run it on a 220v 30A breaker. The max input draw is supposed to be 27 amp at the 160A setting.

/ Hobart 160i questions
I have a 160i which I do some medium welding Normally running about 100 amp. Run it on a 220v 30A breaker. The max input draw is supposed to be 27 amp at the 160A setting.
Do you like how it welds? Would you buy it again or something different?

/ Hobart 160i questions #6  
I have the older 235LX not trying to brag but I bought it brand new from TSC on clearance as they were replacing it with the 160I bought on veterans day paid around 200+ after all discounts on top of clearance price. it replaced my ancient Lincoln AC tombstone 225. Anyways the lx 235 welds DC at 160 and AC at 235. It has worked flawless for over 3 years now, great penetration, easy starts, ground clamp and stinger are kind of cheap though. I've yet to hit the duty cycle. I run it off a 50 amp breaker which i haven't tripped yet. in my experience with several Hobarts I own they make very good welders for the price and they have decent us based customer service plus its easy to get consumables.

• Good Post
Reactions: BAP
   / Hobart 160i questions #7  
@BAP I would purchase it again if needed Would like something bigger but don't have enough juice to run a 50-60A circuit. So most of my welding is 70-100 amp running 6011 and 7018 3/32 rods. have done some 6013 but don't seem to work as well as the other rods. Have ran some 6013 on a welder generator and they run great on that system running AC, but for me don't seem to work as well on a DC system.

Also have done some 6011 and 6013 1/16 rods running down around the 20-25 amp range and if you can hold steady don't seem to do too bad on thin material.

• Good Post
Reactions: BAP
   / Hobart 160i questions #8  
I have the older 235LX not trying to brag but I bought it brand new from TSC on clearance as they were replacing it with the 160I bought on veterans day paid around 200+ after all discounts on top of clearance price. it replaced my ancient Lincoln AC tombstone 225. Anyways the lx 235 welds DC at 160 and AC at 235. It has worked flawless for over 3 years now, great penetration, easy starts, ground clamp and stinger are kind of cheap though. I've yet to hit the duty cycle. I run it off a 50 amp breaker which i haven't tripped yet. in my experience with several Hobarts I own they make very good welders for the price and they have decent us based customer service plus its easy to get consumables.
Hobart is owned by the same company that owns Miller welders. I have the 160I and a 140 Handler older version with the 4 position heat range whereas the new versions are 5 position.

/ Hobart 160i questions
Thank You for the information. That’s what I was looking for someone’s actual experience using it. I have been looking for a used welder of any make, but the price of a new Hobart 160i makes it really attractive.

/ Hobart 160i questions #10  
Save money and look at the PowerArc 200STi. It'll still fit well within your budget of Amps. It'll give more power and outperform the Hobart and will have a 5 year parts and labor ( free shipping to and from repair facility if needed for 3 years).