Hog damage

/ Hog damage #31  
We are pretty fortunate. Don't have any wildlife that is destructive in that manner.

Deer and Turkeys take their toll on the grain farmers. A problem that can't be controlled. But certainly could be reimbursed by the Wildlife Conservation Department. After all, they claim to own them when hunting is discussed. Until you hit one with your car. Then they don't.....

The city dwellers complain about goose poop at the Golf Course. But that's their fault for stocking them on their lakes and ponds.
Our DNR doesn't claim to own them or even want them. They would love to snap their fingers and have them gone. There considered an invasive species. There is no season, no limit, no regulations. Hence the night hunting, with night vision, you can bait, you can live trap, dead trap, use semi auto AR with 30 round mags, if you have a license for full auto you can use them, no limits, no regulations on utilization of the meat...meaning you can let them lay where you shoot them.

/ Hog damage #32  
Missouri Wildlife Conservation Agency stocked Canadian Geese here back in the 70s. Clipped the wings on mated pairs and released them on ponds to nest. If successful, the offspring are there next year.

Once a year-round population is established then no stocking is required. You are simply stepping in the poop of subsequent generations of "stocking".

I would really like to have a conversation with the folks who made that decision.

/ Hog damage #33  
Eddie, this guy is in Navarro county Texas. The problem is that you have to deliver live animals to him. My coworkers tell me there are retired guys that make income by keeping traps on multiple locations and making daily round to collect hogs. Maybe you could contact him and see if there is someone like that around you. 20200302_075023.jpeg

/ Hog damage
I thought about trapping them and selling them, but if people eat the trapped hogs, then they have to have documentation proving that they have had all their shots and whatever else the FDA requires of livestock. While rare, I have read a few stories of people being fined for doing this. In one case, the guy who was being fined wasn't even selling them, he was giving them away!!!

Just shooting them seems to be the best way to keep them away for the longest, but they always come back and the day it happens, the place is a war zone.

As mentioned already, there are practically no rules on killing them. Day or night, no limit, open all year, and now you don't even need a Texas Hunting License if you are on private land.

/ Hog damage #35  
Hogs are a big problem in SC. Hunting them is wide open. I eat some of the hogs I kill. I really like hog burger and cubed steak. Not much you can do but trap them in the large corral traps and try to get the whole family group. Hog dogging really does not do a lot except scatter them. The days are coming when sodium nitrate and a way to deliver it will be worked out as a poisoning agent. Right now, coons and everything else could get poisoned without a good delivery method. The dead hogs are safe for other animals to eat, also.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/wildlife_damage/feral-swine-bait.pdf

/ Hog damage #36  
Our DNR doesn't claim to own them or even want them. They would love to snap their fingers and have them gone. There considered an invasive species. There is no season, no limit, no regulations. Hence the night hunting, with night vision, you can bait, you can live trap, dead trap, use semi auto AR with 30 round mags, if you have a license for full auto you can use them, no limits, no regulations on utilization of the meat...meaning you can let them lay where you shoot them.

Are you talking about Deer?

/ Hog damage #37  
   / Hog damage
The days are coming when sodium nitrate and a way to deliver it will be worked out as a poisoning agent.

Fish and Game has been talking about poisoning them working on a poison that wont kill everything else out there. I have no idea if they will come up with something or not, but it's probably our only hope.

Heard a story from a guy that I think was credible, who said that a big local ranch spread poison all over to kill off the hogs. I think he said that they killed thousands of them, but can't say for sure just how many they got. What was really interesting is that he said the Game Wardens where aware of it happening and none of them went there to look into it. Just avoided the area for a few weeks like it never happened.

/ Hog damage #39  
Hogs and humans share some genetics. As in humans can be a carrier for a disease that will effect hogs. Same the other way.

That might be a stumbling block for creating a poison specifically for hogs that doesn't affect others.

/ Hog damage #40  
Hogs and humans share some genetics. As in humans can be a carrier for a disease that will effect hogs. Same the other way.

That might be a stumbling block for creating a poison specifically for hogs that doesn't affect others.

Could very well be . . . if I remember right that was the second or so things we dissected in high school biology.