home cooling questions

/ home cooling questions #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi we have a 1600sf a-frame with casement windows. we have a whole house fan, a great room with fans and our bedroom is upstairs (no windows only sky lights). Needless to say when it gets hot (today 90) my wife heats up and i hear it.
Portable ac does not work, tried it. i am not sure if i want to rip a window out just to put in a casemnt ac. I looked at the installiation and i have to rip all of the window hardware out to fit it in.
we had a quote two years ago for a mini-split for the greatroom and our bedroom, and it came to 5k. Thats more then we can spend right now.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
forgeblast

/ home cooling questions
Hi we have a 1600sf a-frame with casement windows. we have a whole house fan, a great room with fans and our bedroom is upstairs (no windows only sky lights). Needless to say when it gets hot (today 90) my wife heats up and i hear it.
Portable ac does not work, tried it. i am not sure if i want to rip a window out just to put in a casemnt ac. I looked at the installiation and i have to rip all of the window hardware out to fit it in.
we had a quote two years ago for a mini-split for the greatroom and our bedroom, and it came to 5k. Thats more then we can spend right now.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
forgeblast

/ home cooling questions #3  
You have to think about this, heat will rise, and it will get warm. I think ventilation is the key for little money, we live in Florida and roof turbines will work with wind and heat for free, I know you have a A frame roof but there has to be a way to mount one of these? Or ya can install a small AC and use it as a fan or AC when needed.
Your going to be there for awhile, you should be comfortable, and Pleasing the Lady is job one and you both will be happier /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ home cooling questions #4  
You have to think about this, heat will rise, and it will get warm. I think ventilation is the key for little money, we live in Florida and roof turbines will work with wind and heat for free, I know you have a A frame roof but there has to be a way to mount one of these? Or ya can install a small AC and use it as a fan or AC when needed.
Your going to be there for awhile, you should be comfortable, and Pleasing the Lady is job one and you both will be happier /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ home cooling questions #5  
Ceiling fans will help with window AC units. It'll also help on heating too. Ceiling fans turn in both directions. In the winter you want them to PUSH air down, in the summer PULL air up. I think that's correct.

/ home cooling questions #6  
Ceiling fans will help with window AC units. It'll also help on heating too. Ceiling fans turn in both directions. In the winter you want them to PUSH air down, in the summer PULL air up. I think that's correct.

/ home cooling questions
the whole house fan is a huge fan up near our bed room that sucks all the hot air out and into the attic while pulling cold air in from the outside. if the outside air is hot then we got hot air. window mount acs are nice but the anderson casements are a pain to put an ac in. i would have to really take apart the window to put one in.

/ home cooling questions
the whole house fan is a huge fan up near our bed room that sucks all the hot air out and into the attic while pulling cold air in from the outside. if the outside air is hot then we got hot air. window mount acs are nice but the anderson casements are a pain to put an ac in. i would have to really take apart the window to put one in.

/ home cooling questions #9  
It is possible to find portable AC units that don't require a window mount. Basically, they have a dryer vent type hose which for exhaust which must be routed outside. I believe these hoses have mounting for windows, etc..

Portable Air Conditioner

They now make casement air-conditioners which are designed to fit your type of window. You'll have to check dimensions though.
Casement Example

Disclaimer: I've never used either of these products so I don't know how they actually work.

/ home cooling questions #10  
It is possible to find portable AC units that don't require a window mount. Basically, they have a dryer vent type hose which for exhaust which must be routed outside. I believe these hoses have mounting for windows, etc..

Portable Air Conditioner

They now make casement air-conditioners which are designed to fit your type of window. You'll have to check dimensions though.
Casement Example

Disclaimer: I've never used either of these products so I don't know how they actually work.