Home Made Trailer Transfer

/ Home Made Trailer Transfer #1  

paulsharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
I know I had a thread Years ago, but can't find it. I bought a 5×10 Landscape trailer, about 16 years ago, and had it registered legally as a Home Made Trailer (I'm in Florida), for probably 5 years. I can't find any of the paper work, at all, VIN assigned, or anything. Is there a way to look that up at DMV off my SSN or DLN? I wonder if it was in the glove box of a car it sold. Anyways, now I'm wanting to sell it, after transferring the tag from it to my new factory build 6'4"×16 trailer. I think it would be easier to sell if I can provide the weight and VIN.

Yes, I know I was suppost to permanently affix the VIN to the trailer when it was assigned, but I didnt.

Do DMVs have access to look at your vehicle history or whatever?

/ Home Made Trailer Transfer #2  
Shouldn't the VIN and all other info be tied to the license plate? DMV should be able to give all this info to you. I know in Virginia I can go online and look at all the info. Maybe you can do the same in FL.

/ Home Made Trailer Transfer
I transferred the tag number to new trailer, and the new trailer all I see online. I might have to go in person, and I'm sure they can pull more info then I can online.

/ Home Made Trailer Transfer #4  
Oh OK. Looks like a trip (or phone call) to DMV will be in order.

/ Home Made Trailer Transfer
So, after making some calls, I've got my VIN, and there is no title on trailers less then 2000 lbs (this is 780lbs), so to transfer, i just fill out the full bill of sale.