Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer...

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer...
What you are talking about is industrial duty... more than most farm units do. If you are going to get an application that seems to be as financially rewarding as cutting 4" brush would be for yourself or commercially, and you have saved on the subunit as you have, why not just go to the dealer of the above, or another that you like and have them part out the whole unit from motor to blade. Nickel and diming on something as heavy duty as this makes little sense. When you want to work, you need to have a suitable tool... unlike some of us that try to beat the system be cause it is fun or necessary.

Well its fun to build and put together. I don't have the $5K to buy the commercial unit. and For what use mine will see it will be above the call and last for years at a fraction of the cost

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #22  
Since a new gearbox is only about $100, if it was me I would get the gearbox, stump jumper, and blades from agri-supply and mate the hydraulic motor to the gearbox. That way you don't have to worry about mating the stump jumper or whether the motor bearings can handle the abuse.
40HP GEARBOX SMOOTH INPUT SHAFT W/SHEAR - Agri Supply

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer...
   / Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #24  
That's the same 'box' that I'm using on my stump grinder build! Please buy it and let me know if it will take the abuse of mowing 4" trees! That would certainly quell my 'bearing abuse' fears!! :D ~Scotty

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #26  
Now that I can see the picture of your machine a 40hp gear box does seem light. You probably saw the 75hp boxes at the Agri Supply link I posted.

My only experience is a few acres of pine trees to 4" I cut with an old light duty 5' rough cut mower I picked up for $250. It had been repainted but the construction was similar to a King Kutter. It did the job and gave me no problems. I'm sure it was only rated to cut 1" brush.

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #27  
BRUSH CUTTER A 4 in tree is not brush

I think you guys are dreaming about the ability of the bush hog to cut and shred 3 and 4 in trees. Yes I know you can push the tree over and run over it and sit there and finally grind it up. maybe, but the bush hog was never designed for something like that. It is hard to believe that the one guy cut an acre of 4 in pine. I don't think the bush hog will stand up to that kind of abuse. Even with a relief valve on the hydraulic motor, I still think you will damage the motor and bush hog frame real quick. JMHO

This is a tree cutter.

Attachments

• 1_EVO_30_Closeup.jpg
    1_EVO_30_Closeup.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 577
   / Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #28  
I would think that 4" hardwoods could be tough on any but the most heavy duty mower decks. If the donor mower is a lighter duty model you may want to beef up deck to keep it together.

MarkV

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #29  
Think along the lines of a 90 to 150 hp gear box.

Steve

I agree with JJ,

If you are talking trees with 4 to 6" trunks that is firewood and should be cut up as so. If you want to chip this size stuff I would use a chipper.

Where I live there is some brush that has a large stump that branches out at the ground into many much smaller growth (1 to 2"). Anything larger than this and you will soon tear equipment up.

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #30  
JJ,
You bring up a good point about us being realistic with what we can do and not do with these tools. I would be willing to look at the chipper type tool like you posted in your pic. The problem is the flail or hammer type ones i have seen on the net are only for much larger skids and it seems that most require high flow. I would run a 42 to 48 inch one like that if I could with my 1840 if it would be able to handle larger brush and if i could move faster in stuff like multi flora rose? Does anyone make a mower like that that would fit my unit, or has anyone fabricated one?
Thanks to all for helping me be realistic about what i can expect from these tools.
Beau