Homemade Grapple

/ Homemade Grapple #1  

sammymac77

Tractor
Kubota
I've been trying to find plans or templates for a homemade grapple. I've been taking measurements off skid-steer grapples and measuring my quick connect on my Kubota tractor. I found this video on youtube. If I had some measurements/templates this video would be a perfect how-to on building one.

My Grapple Bucket - YouTube
\

/ Homemade Grapple #2  
How big is your tractor? The grapple in the video is pretty nice but probably weighs several hundred pounds, so take into account your lift capacity and what you want to lift when designing yours. Also note the cylinders in the video are tee'd, so they must both meet resistance before either will squeeze your load or open all the way. Some may prefer it that way, but I'd rather they move in unison. That can be achieved with a single cylinder design, a flow divider, or connecting the "claws" together mechanically.

I've been toying with the idea of a single grapple arm that includes both male and female JD quick attach so that I could use it with my quick attach pallet forks or swap the forks for my bucket.

Make sure to post your progress!

/ Homemade Grapple
My tractor is about the same size as the one in the video. I like the tee'd design because you're not always going to grab something that is the same size on both sides. Like a pile of brush for example. Mainly I just need some plans or templates.

/ Homemade Grapple #4  
It's a nice unit all right and he done a great job on it, but I think it's to big.

/ Homemade Grapple #5  
I made a couple a couple of years ago, I'll have to dig up pictures - I made mine to go on top of my bucket. I ran into the same problems as you asa far as finding plans. I ended up making full size templates out of luan that way I could get everything lined up. I could also get the strike right ! But I will tell you I bought 2 cylinders on Amazon 3" bore 16" stroke WAY TOO BIG, but I got both of them shipped to me total for $53 total I think someone a amazon screwed up!

/ Homemade Grapple #6  
I built what I guess you would call a brush grapple a few years ago out of 1/2 inch steel for the tines. It was similar in size to the youtube one. I'm not sure what size tractor you have but my grapple was really too heavy for my Case DX35. I sold it to a guy I know with a larger farm tractor. You might get by with fewer tines to reduce weight or possible 3/8 inch steel for tines. If you don't find plans I suggest following Lloyd's advice and making templates out of luan, I usually do that when I make something. The cylinders I used for my brush grapple and a bolt on bucket grapple I built both used a 6 inch stroke.

/ Homemade Grapple #7  
Boyd boyd boyd ..... pics or it didn't happen! ;)

/ Homemade Grapple #8  
Not sure if this was directed to me but here are some pics IMG_0368.JPGIMG_0369.JPGIMG_0370.JPGIMG_0371.JPGIMG_0372.JPG

As you can see I currently don't have it on-it is handy as all **** when I do use it!

/ Homemade Grapple #9  
Yup that was good grapple build, I watched it 3 times just so I could listen to the song, whatever it was.

/ Homemade Grapple #10  
Yup that was good grapple build, I watched it 3 times just so I could listen to the song, whatever it was.

Oldpath, I sure am glad you posted. I've been trying to find where I heard this music for weeks!Wife thinks I am nuts.

Anyone have a clue to the name of the song?