Homemade Grapple

/ Homemade Grapple #11  
Oldpath, I sure am glad you posted. I've been trying to find where I heard this music for weeks!Wife thinks I am nuts.

Anyone have a clue to the name of the song?

/ Homemade Grapple #12  
Thanks N2D, shortly after I posted I clicked on the u-tube video and read the whole intro where he gave credit for the music. Sad thing is that the artist passed away a few years ago from brain cancer. He was only 57.
Thanks again.

/ Homemade Grapple #13  
Thanks N2D, shortly after I posted I clicked on the u-tube video and read the whole intro where he gave credit for the music. Sad thing is that the artist passed away a few years ago from brain cancer. He was only 57.
Thanks again.

Well I have a confession to make, that's where I found it too. :D

I just did a search to find the one I posted to make sure it was the right thing.

Very sad about the artist, I hadn't had a chance to dig into him more yet.

/ Homemade Grapple #14  
I had to email my daughter down Va. last night to see if she had a way of finding that tune, she found it. It has that ghostly mournfully sound to it, kinda like half hillbilly and bluegrass. I like it, you wont hear that on radio unless maybe satilite radio, good tune to build a grapple with. The title "It's raining the Blues" but why does it say for "Bill Monroe"?

/ Homemade Grapple #16  
I had to email my daughter down Va. last night to see if she had a way of finding that tune, she found it. It has that ghostly mournfully sound to it, kinda like half hillbilly and bluegrass. I like it, you wont hear that on radio unless maybe satilite radio, good tune to build a grapple with. The title "It's raining the Blues" but why does it say for "Bill Monroe"?

Thanks Oldpath, I didn't quite understand the the Bill Monroe part either. I just assume it was a sign of respect for him.

That grapple you built was beautiful. I built one similar using a land pride as a reference. I should have put gussets between the tines like you did though.

I kept bending my tines while moving some big rocks so last week I cut them off and welded a piece of 1/2" steel across them and welded on nine bucket teeth.

Funny story though, My neighbor lost a huge oak tree last year and 2 days ago I saw him and his dad starting to clean up the mess. I noticed they were sawing off the limbs and were using a small atv to pull them to the back yard so I offered them the use of my tractor and grapple and within about 4 hours they had cleaned up the entire mess.

Needless to say they were very appreciative and amazed what they could accomplish with this combination.

/ Homemade Grapple #17  
Everyone's expectations are different in regards to a Grapple. I wanted the most versatility. I started by building the grapple on the FEL frame. I could switch buckets, etc., and the claws stayed with the FEL. Immediately realized that wasn't a good idea. So I bought a used Bobcat LoPro bucket and moved the double claw grapple to that. Can grip a very large pile of brush. Or odd sized objects such as rocks. Or haul a bucket of loose material. No change of tool required.

Tines are built from 1/2"x4" flatbar. Cylinders are 2"x8". I use the snot out of it. Had to recently rebuild the claw hinges. I didn't use bushings in the beginning, just swiveled the flatbar on pins.

DSC04633.JPG

DSC04667.JPG

20140405_100102.jpeg

/ Homemade Grapple #18  
Everyone's expectations are different in regards to a Grapple. I wanted the most versatility. I started by building the grapple on the FEL frame. I could switch buckets, etc., and the claws stayed with the FEL. Immediately realized that wasn't a good idea. So I bought a used Bobcat LoPro bucket and moved the double claw grapple to that. Can grip a very large pile of brush. Or odd sized objects such as rocks. Or haul a bucket of loose material. No change of tool required.

Tines are built from 1/2"x4" flatbar. Cylinders are 2"x8". I use the snot out of it. Had to recently rebuild the claw hinges. I didn't use bushings in the beginning, just swiveled the flatbar on pins.

View attachment 517352

View attachment 517353

View attachment 517354

Very impressive, sure have those front tires squatted.

/ Homemade Grapple #19  
Very impressive, sure have those front tires squatted.

If you add a Grapple to your FEL you will test it to the maximum as well as the front axle/tires of your tractor. I've carried many loads with one rear tire off the ground.

/ Homemade Grapple #20  
I have a John Deere 245 loader for a John Deere 2240 Tractor. The loader has a grapple on it, there is a cage on top of the grapple that I would like to remove, need tines for the grapple, would like shorter tines. It has a hydraulic cylinder which I know I will either have to replace or move. see that attachment, just wondering if I cut the grapple arm will it be ok.

Last edited: