Honda CBR500r

/ Honda CBR500r #1  

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
I know we have a few motorcycle riders on the forum with good insight. I have a question.

My son (18) has been riding an older Yamaha Virago 535 since he was 16. He has shown me that he can ride safely.

I have only ridden cruiser style bikes my whole life. He has his heart set on a sports bike. Those bikes scare me a little. But, he is a good kid so I did a little research on my own.

To me, it looks like the relatively new Honda CBR500r could be a good choice as a first sports bike for him. I rode one last Saturday. It has the looks he wants, but does not have the outrageous power of some of those bikes. It is quiet, manageable and has more of an upright seating position than I thought.

To me, it seems to have as much or more power than the Virago (despite somewhat lower cc's) but did feel controllable.

Anyone have one of these bikes or an opinion?

Thanks.

MoKelly

/ Honda CBR500r #2  
The power on those bikes comes from the much higher RPM produced. He may or may not be happy with the size though at his age, I would bet he is looking for a bit larger crotch rocket and more speed. Personally, I wouldn't buy one for my kid, he would have to stay with the cruiser bikes.

/ Honda CBR500r #3  
I've owned several different styles though by the time the modern sportsbikes became popular, I was too old to enjoy them. My sons, now in the 30's and 40's owned Ninjas, CBR's, Triumph triple (modern version) and they loved them. My youngest son now owns my old Harley, but before that had a CBR600 and he loved it, he said it was one of the best bikes he ever owned.

I would not worry about a mature 18 year old on a CBR500, it has enough power to be fun, but it is controllable.

My grandson lost most of his right foot while riding a 250 when he turned in front of a car; what you ride is not what is important, it is how you ride and of course by that logic, I shouldn't be alive, but I sure love motorcycles.

/ Honda CBR500r
I've owned several different styles though by the time the modern sportsbikes became popular, I was too old to enjoy them. My sons, now in the 30's and 40's owned Ninjas, CBR's, Triumph triple (modern version) and they loved them. My youngest son now owns my old Harley, but before that had a CBR600 and he loved it, he said it was one of the best bikes he ever owned.

I would not worry about a mature 18 year old on a CBR500, it has enough power to be fun, but it is controllable.

My grandson lost most of his right foot while riding a 250 when he turned in front of a car; what you ride is not what is important, it is how you ride and of course by that logic, I shouldn't be alive, but I sure love motorcycles.

Thanks. That is helpful.

Times have changed. I remember buying my first bike at 16 to get to/from high school and then college. It was a used Suzuki GT185 - 2 stroke. I cost like $300. I loved that bike even though it smoked like James Bond getting away from the bad guys.

MoKelly

/ Honda CBR500r #5  
Thanks. That is helpful.

Times have changed. I remember buying my first bike at 16 to get to/from high school and then college. It was a used Suzuki GT185 - 2 stroke. I cost like $300. I loved that bike even though it smoked like James Bond getting away from the bad guys.

MoKelly

Yep, my wife's last dirt bike was a 78 Suzuki TS185. We sold it only a few years ago; still have my 250 Ossa down in the barn. I had Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Bultaco, Ossa, Triumph and Harley. A world of difference in what is available today.