Honey Locust Tree

/ Honey Locust Tree #22  
Ali
You can do this without getting flats on your tractor?

Are the trees still alive or dead?

MoKelly
Living trees. I am afraid to say it but I have not a flat on my current tractor. I did have several on my last tractor but never moving thorn trees. I try to handle them as little as possible and move them as short a distance as possible to reduce the chance of dropping thorns.

I have a large thorn tree to deal with near our cabin. I am thinking about cutting it down and burning it where it falls. The down side to that is I have to look at a felled tree for months while it dries enough to burn.

/ Honey Locust Tree #23  
My property is covered in them as is the cattle ranch next door. My B-I-L, the rancher next door, says he gets flats fairly often from them in his big tractors. In 15 years I never have and I mow under and around them all the time. I certainly do not run over fallen branches on purpose. My farm truck got a flat from one. Patched it. But so fat that's it. So I leave them alone.

Plus, the deer really like the pods.

/ Honey Locust Tree
Spoke with a guy who runs a mill a few roads over. He came and looked at the dead locust tree. He agreed to cut it down, mulch all small branches in exchange for taking the trunk and branches he can use.

Good deal.

Thanks for that suggestion.

After he is done, I will need to take the area for those darn thorns. Still will probably miss a few. It only takes one!!!

MoKelly

/ Honey Locust Tree #25  
Spoke with a guy who runs a mill a few roads over. He came and looked at the dead locust tree. He agreed to cut it down, mulch all small branches in exchange for taking the trunk and branches he can use.

Good deal.

Thanks for that suggestion.

After he is done, I will need to take the area for those darn thorns. Still will probably miss a few. It only takes one!!!

MoKelly
I would recommend poisoning the stump. Locusts will sprout from remaining roots. Putting brush killer on the freshly cut stump might, just maybe, kill the roots too.

/ Honey Locust Tree
I would recommend poisoning the stump. Locusts will sprout from remaining roots. Putting brush killer on the freshly cut stump might, just maybe, kill the roots too.

Thanks! I hadn’t thought about that but it makes tons of sense.

I heard drilling holes and pouring brush killer in the holes helps.

MoKelly

/ Honey Locust Tree #27  
Thanks! I hadn’t thought about that but it makes tons of sense.

I heard drilling holes and pouring brush killer in the holes helps.

MoKelly
I'd concentrate on soaking the cuts around the bark, not the center of the cut. Any sprouts will come from the bark area. I have a friend that's a consulting forester. He said to take a bottle, like a dish washing detergent bottle, and mix up a batch of roundup. Use the squirt bottle to soak the bark area of the cut directly after cutting. If sprouts occur in the future, make a fresh cut and reapply.

/ Honey Locust Tree #28  
I believe herbicide can help here. Ask the mill owner if he will take any more that die then inject the rest with herbicide to kill them (without telling SWMBO of course). Next year,call the saw mill. Be very vigilent in watching for new sprouts from roots within 40-50 feet of stump and spray them.

/ Honey Locust Tree
I'd concentrate on soaking the cuts around the bark, not the center of the cut. Any sprouts will come from the bark area. I have a friend that's a consulting forester. He said to take a bottle, like a dish washing detergent bottle, and mix up a batch of roundup. Use the squirt bottle to soak the bark area of the cut directly after cutting. If sprouts occur in the future, make a fresh cut and reapply.

Thanks. I can do that.

MoKelly

/ Honey Locust Tree
I believe herbicide can help here. Ask the mill owner if he will take any more that die then inject the rest with herbicide to kill them (without telling SWMBO of course). Next year,call the saw mill. Be very vigilent in watching for new sprouts from roots within 40-50 feet of stump and spray them.

The mill guy said he’d take 2 of the others - he says the rest are not thick enough in the trunk area for his productive use.

I can’t kill them on purpose. I couldn’t look my wife in the eyes. She knows whenever I not telling the truth. It’s a liability I’ve had now for 40 years!

Also, the heathy ones are not all that much trouble. They don’t drop branches and thorns like the dead/dying trees. I can live with them for now.

MoKelly