Honey Locust Tree

/ Honey Locust Tree #31  
I'm glad that it worked out with the mill!

I have heard the roundup on stump advice, and looked at a few videos, too. However, I haven't had much luck with the roundup on stump bark/edges on my bay trees. The bays seem to sprout every year, and I cut them back each time. It has been over a decade, but then they were massive trees; the stumps are three to five feet across. I wouldn't have taken them out, but they were a fire and limb hazard. I guess that it depends on the type of tree.

But if your wife really likes the honey locust trees, perhaps it isn't all bad if the stump sprouts?

I can't really imagine having to deal with the thorns for years afterwards.

All the best,

Peter

/ Honey Locust Tree

But if your wife really likes the honey locust trees, perhaps it isn't all bad if the stump sprouts?

All the best,

Peter

Once they die, even my wife is ok with me doing whatever it takes to keep them dead. Enough perseverance will prevail.

It’s the live ones she doesn’t want me to intentionally kill.

Living with these trees requires having tire plugs in bulk! Plus, I have a tire shop near that does good work.

MoKelly

/ Honey Locust Tree #33  
I hate honey locust with a passion. I go around with a hatchet and a bottle of either triclopyr or picloram and hack and squirt all the trees I can. This kills them pretty quick but leaves them up in the air. By the time the dead trees start dropping limbs (takes a few years) the thorns aren't near as strong. It's still a pain to handle and deal with, but so far (*knocks on wood) no flat tires with this approach.

/ Honey Locust Tree #34  

I have heard the roundup on stump advice, and looked at a few videos, too. However, I haven't had much luck with the roundup on stump bark/edges on my bay trees. The bays seem to sprout every year, and I cut them back each time. It has been over a decade, but then they were massive trees; the stumps are three to five feet across. I wouldn't have taken them out, but they were a fire and limb hazard. I guess that it depends on the type of tree.

All the best,

Peter
I've never heard of a Honey Locust tree getting that big. The biggest one I've seen is about 2 feet.

/ Honey Locust Tree #35  
My two Hawthorn trees are bad enough. Nothing like the Honey Locust I saw when checked on Google. My arms have been punctured a few times when pruning the Hawthorn.

/ Honey Locust Tree #36  
I'd concentrate on soaking the cuts around the bark, not the center of the cut. Any sprouts will come from the bark area. I have a friend that's a consulting forester. He said to take a bottle, like a dish washing detergent bottle, and mix up a batch of roundup. Use the squirt bottle to soak the bark area of the cut directly after cutting. If sprouts occur in the future, make a fresh cut and reapply.
Are you sure the forester said roundup on trees? Roundup is for control of grassy vegetation not brushy. Triclorpyr is normally the chemical used for brush. Sometimes a mixture of roundup & triclorpyr & diesel is used on hard to kill trees.

/ Honey Locust Tree #37  
TSC used to sell a bottle of stump killer that was actually pure glyphosate.

/ Honey Locust Tree #38  
   / Honey Locust Tree #39  
Tordon RTU for stump killing!

/ Honey Locust Tree #40  
I've used Round Up for years on tree stumps. Works great. Keep the concentration high. I paint the whole stump. No reason not too. It even kills gum stumps. I know it will kill the Honey Locust stumps because I've done it plenty of times. I'm not sure it will kill the root system which, in my experience, can extend way beyond the canopy diameter of the tree.

For whoever was talking about the size of Honey Locusts, they are not large trees but they are trees. I have plenty that are 30+ feet high. Only the ones out in the open look good and healthy. Most of the ones in the woods are scraggly looking.

There is one right out the back door of my cabin. I'd say at the base of the trunk it is a good 16" in diameter if not more.

I have a big clump of them in the woods on my property that I actually fertilize. The deer love the pods. On windy days they'll bed down around the trees to get the pods that fall.

I have heard the wood is good for fence posts. Which I can believe. They never seem to rot.