Rotary Cutter Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter

/ Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
Hookin\' Up That Rotary Cutter

I haven't used my rotary cutter as much as I'd like to, mostly 'cuz I'm always pressed for time up at the property, and hooking up the PTO shaft has always been a trying experience. On Father's Day, however, I thought it through a little bit and figured out a way to lessen the hassle.

Now, keep in mind that I'm still pretty much a newbie with this sort of thing, but I'm curious if any of you out there first of all have had the same trouble, and second of all have resorted to similar tactics. It comes down to the plain ol' awkwardness of dealing with a heavy hunk o' iron (shaft) which is in a position that you can't reach very well. My previous approach was like this:

- Position tractor to cutter.
- Reach in from the side as best I can and lift the shaft to PTO height with one hand.
- Retract snap ring collar with the other hand.
- Use extra hand to keep myself from falling over.
- Turn PTO shaft with another hand until splines match up.
- Use two more hands to push shaft firmly onto spline.
- Something ain't lined up quite right, so nothing happens. Back and arms are complaining.
- Back it off, put shaft down, straighten up my back and shake out the arms.
- Repeat whole process until the yoke snaps onto PTO spline (3 or 4 attempts on average)

Fact is, I don't really have that many hands, so I make up the difference with a lot of creative language that I hope my children never have to hear. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Okay, so after studying the situation, I figure that I should be able to eliminate almost all of the back pain and get by with several fewer hands if I could just plant one foot on either side of the shaft. This position would also put me directly behind the PTO, making alignment much easier. The problem, of course, is that the 3-pt arms, the cutter deck and that annoying mast are right where I want to be. And they sort of need to be there.
crazy.gif

The solution? Let go of my dignity and self esteem and just mount this sucker like it was a mechanical bull. The attached pictures tell the story. It's a little hard on the keister (I'm seriously considering some kind of saddle), but I got the PTO shaft on and off smoothly and easily in a matter of seconds. Dignity be danged. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

This may be much ado about nothing to most of you, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has found this kind of hookup more of a chore than you'd like it to be.

Attachments

• 5-162917-PTOHookup.jpg
    5-162917-PTOHookup.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 214
   / Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter #2  
Re: Hookin\' Up That Rotary Cutter

Actualy, Harv...that's the way I do it too.

See, my friend...you are not alone!!

/ Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter #3  

Gee I like your posts Harv.

Haven't see a newie for a while and it is refreshing to see someone tell it as it is !!

My slasher is only 4' wide and I can get to the shaft from the side.

Also being an oldie, I don't have the PTO covers etc. like you appear to have so things are a lot easier for me to do.

From what I have learned on TBN, very little to do with tractors has anything to do with ease, cleanliness or ergonomics /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Cheers

/ Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter #4  

As a moderator one, should never have to use language that a child shouldn't hear. However as on old sailor, apparently I've occasionally been heard to use language not appropriate for neither grownups or children.

/ Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter #5  

Very interesting, Harv./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I think you should never argue with success; whatever works./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif But for me, your previous method, minus about half the steps, only took a few seconds. Maybe it was because my rotary cutter had the pin instead of the collar./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter #6  

Great idea, and I will give that a try. Maybe instead of a saddle, something like a swing board with a short loop of rope that will hang over the top lift point and give the rear some additional support. Or just a 1 x 6 board with bolts at each end to keep it from sliding down the arms you are sitting on would work too.

I feel your pain in that description all too well.

/ Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter #7  

Harv,
I do it two different ways. 1-Lift the 3pt up with cutter attached, lines the PTO shaft and usually slips right on. 2-Take the shear pin out(see from pic thats kind you have), pull shaft off, collapse shaft, put on tractor, extend shaft and put back on cutter and shear bolt back in. These methods make hooking my cutter up alot quieter (less cuss words). /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
Hope this helps.

/ Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter #8  

I am a city raised boy married to a farm girl for thirty six years. I always have trouble with the PTO hook-up for our bush hog. My solution is just to call my wife. I hold the weight and she lines it up and snaps the ring in place. The truth is she can do it without my help but she lets me feel helpful.

The best fun was when I shopped for the 4300 and spent three months learning from this site and anyone that would answer my questions. I finally decided on the Deere and took my wife to look at it. She had told me to do the research and just let her drive it before I signed anything. We were headed to dinner and Jane had on a dress and heels. We were in a hurry so when the salesman handed me the key, I just gave them to her. The salesman was in total shock as she started the tractor and ran it around the yard and even filled the bucket with dirt from a pile and played with it. She got the attention of the service department and they were all in the door watching her put the tractor through her inspection. She got off and told me she liked it and that we were going to be late for dinner. As I handed the keys to the salesman, a young man from the service bay called out and asked if we had any daughters.

/ Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter #9  

<font color=blue>...Take the shear pin out... and shear bolt back in. ...</font color=blue>

I don't understand...? What side of the drive shaft are you disconnecting... the tractor or the implement side...?

Basically... all three point implements are hooked up in the same order:
(try to get into a standard routine for all of them with little variation)

1)Hook up left lift arm first
2)Right lift arm next (you can now adjust height up/down if you have to)
3)Slide driveshaft yoke on tractor's PTO spline and lock
4)Toplink last (so it's out of your way while doing the rest) and adjust accordingly... (toplinks are cheap $15-17... you may leave attached to implement and have already pre-adjusted)

Shear pins and slip clutches are always on "implement" side...

Overrunning clutches on "tractor" side...(unless combo slip/overrun on impl.)

You grab the driveshaft yoke with both hands (like you're ringing somebody's neck /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif) and slowing twist in one direction or another while sliding the yoke onto the tractor spline... (with practice... shaft hookup is usually seconds...)/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Hookin' Up That Rotary Cutter #10  

I have to say that on my 165 there is plenty of room to work on either side of the hitch to hook up lift arms and PTO. But, the compacts and sub compacts create a new challenge. In some cases, it's like eating an elephant through a picket fence. Plus, the smaller the tractor and larger the cutter the tougher the job gets.

In your experience, does adding a quick hitch make the job (hooking up PTO) tougher?