Hornets nest

/ Hornets nest #1  

Ridgewalker

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC29
I found a hornets nest on my property yesterday. It's a great specimen and will be easy to get to. It's attached to the top of a 20' tall sapling and has the tree bent almost double from the weight.

So...who can tell me how to harvest this nest without getting stung? I have heard to wait until Jan and then double garbage bag it and toss it in the freezer for some period of time. Is that the way to go? Who has done this and how did you do it?

Thanks!

/ Hornets nest #2  
First, don't even go near the nest at this time of year. They get very ill-tempered. A guy on a crew that was working for me in the woods saw a nest as they drove along a road. "Hey, stop the rig!" So he hops out, picks up a big rock, planning to knock the nest out of the tree about 20 ft. away and jump back in the rig. As he wound up his pitch, one of them nailed him before he could even throw the rock.

As you surmised, wait until winter. They usually abandon the nest & next year's queens overwinter elsewhere. I am not sure freezing would do much since they survive freezing winter temps in the ground and in logs & elsewhere. If you want to tear the nest apart & look at it, freezing would be smart.

BTW, a spray that carpenter ant exterminators use does a job on stinging insects. I had a hornet's nest right near where I park my pickup as well as wasp nests under the eaves in addition to carpenter ants. Called the ant exterminator & he sprayed the wasp and hornet's nests while he was at it. Those that don't die immediately from the spray are poisoned when they come in contact with it in the nest. Took a couple days for all of them to disappear; found about 20 hornets on the ground under the nest.

/ Hornets nest
Are wishing to keep the nest as a decoration??

Yes, my dad has one hanging in his house and I have always thought that if I could ever find one I would do the same. I think they are cool looking.

I got about 20 yds away yesterday...it was busy and I didn't hang around very long. After seeing the note above I guess I was a bit close for comfort.
I got lucky!

/ Hornets nest #6  
One time a while ago, I found a hornet nest in an apple orchard. I was out walking and eating apples when I spotted it. My dog was with me as well. I decided to huck a rock at it. Well, they got to chasing me and I made it back to my pickup truck before they homed in on me. My dog however.....
I've never heard such howling. But what could I do? I couldn't open the door to let him in without letting in the hornets, and the tailgate was up so he couldn't just hop in and let me drive away either.

/ Hornets nest #7  
Poor dog!

I would make sure the nest was abandoned this winter before I took it in anywhere warm. I would sure hate for any of the residents to warm up inside the house and get active.:eek: I have heard of that happening, but considering the source, I would not count it as fact, but I would still be a bit cautious.

/ Hornets nest #8  
I've never heard such howling. But what could I do? I couldn't open the door to let him in without letting in the hornets, and the tailgate was up so he couldn't just hop in and let me drive away either.

I guess everyone is different. I'd have made sure my dog was safe and inside the truck before I was, hornets be damned.

John

/ Hornets nest #9  
Here's how I took care of my yellow jacket nest...

I waited until it was night time when they are not as active....

YouTube - Bees Nest

-Steve

/ Hornets nest #10  
I was over 60 before I saw a hornet nest in the wild. Now I've seen several. And been stung once. The only pictures I took are on the most unusual one.

Several years past this was on our 2nd story bathroom window. After watching it "grow" for a while, and tapping on the glass to watch and hear them fly into the window glass we decided to spray it and get it removed before someone came to the front door and got stung.

Called a close university and talked with someone in the entomology dept.
They said was not uncommon and did not want to drive 30 miles to study this colony.
hornet.JPG