horse etiquette

/ horse etiquette #201  
my suggestion which I hate to share it due to the circumstance is, make the issue about liability not horse apple.
Liability would be a good argument. What if a horse is spooked by a car (or what ever) and bucks the rider off and takes off? Will they sue because you have allowed them safe passage on your road but it was not "horse friendly"? Get an attorney to draft a cease and desist letter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cease_and_desist

Cease & Desist Letter Template (US) | LawDepot

Last edited:
   / horse etiquette #202  
Liability would be a good argument. What if a horse is spooked by a car (or what ever) and bucks the rider off and takes off? Will they sue because you have allowed them safe passage on your road but it was not "horse friendly"? Get an attorney to draft a cease and desist letter.

yes exactly my point, if somebody hurt themselves on your property, you are liable and subject to law suite, or even if you hit a horse with your car who pay who ? ... even if the individual doesn't want to sue, the insurance (if any) will want the individual to sue so they don't have to pay for the damage.

/ horse etiquette #203  
To clarify points in question. The road was here before the lots were permitted. It was a public road that was then converted to a private road via a planning board decision. IE no public access granted and no town responsibility for maintenance. Road does not grant any other public access by right. The stables in question are a somewhat new 6-7 year old business
Who owns the property where they enter the trails that they are using? If that property owner lets them have access to the trails, then I would say they have the right to ride down the road, just like any other visitor. If the other road owners don't object, blocking off access to the trails and a Private Road - No Trespassing sign at the beginning of the road solves the problem.

/ horse etiquette
Who owns the property where they enter the trails that they are using? If that property owner lets them have access to the trails, then I would say they have the right to ride down the road, just like any other visitor. If the other road owners don't object, blocking off access to the trails and a Private Road - No Trespassing sign at the beginning of the road solves the problem.

Like the no parking signs infant of our shops overhead doors..... I can't get people to comprehend those..I don't expect the self entitled horse jockeys to read any signs either. And fwiw, there are already NTP signs posted.

/ horse etiquette #205  
If they are trespassing then let local law enforcement handle it.

/ horse etiquette #206  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cease_and_desist

And this is exactly why most of us hate when city folk move to the country. Why would this ever get to the point that folks are talking about invoking the services of a lawyer to stop someone from riding a horse on a country lane, when a simple neighborly conversation with the person is all that should be warranted? Why would a person getting bucked off a horse create a liability for someone driving on the road (unless they're a jackass honking their horn or doing something else stupid)? If a rider takes their horse near a roadway, in my mind, they assume liability for their own safety that their horse has been properly desensitized and they can control their horse.

I'm not poking at Ruffdog, but today's litigious society really irks me.

/ horse etiquette
Has anybody noticed these $100K car owners seem to me more concerned about a few brown spots than they are about potentially dozens or hundreds of stone ships?
We have paint protection film on our vehicles..no stone chips, but thanks for your concern.

/ horse etiquette #209  
Has anybody noticed these $100K car owners seem to me more concerned about a few brown spots than they are about potentially dozens or hundreds of stone ships?
Over the years I've probably posted more than anybody about the value of allowing others to use your land. Yet concurrently with that, people need to use respect when on another's property. If the landowner says anybody using their land must wear pink leotards, then that's what you need to do while on his land. I would be finding someplace else to hunt, yet still support his rights.

/ horse etiquette #210  
yes exactly my point, if somebody hurt themselves on your property, you are liable and subject to law suite, or even if you hit a horse with your car who pay who ? ... even if the individual doesn't want to sue, the insurance (if any) will want the individual to sue so they don't have to pay for the damage.
Not likely. Like so many other states, MA has laws protecting landowners who allow use of their land without a fee.

Section 17C: Public use of land for recreational, conservation, scientific educational and other purposes; landowner's liability limited; exception​

Section 17C. (a) Any person having an interest in land including the structures, buildings, and equipment attached to the land, including without limitation, railroad and utility corridors, easements and rights of way, wetlands, rivers, streams, ponds, lakes, and other bodies of water, who lawfully permits the public to use such land for recreational, conservation, scientific, educational, environmental, ecological, research, religious, or charitable purposes without imposing a charge or fee therefor, or who leases such land for said purposes to the commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof or to any nonprofit corporation, trust or association, shall not be liable for personal injuries or property damage sustained by such members of the public, including without limitation a minor, while on said land in the absence of wilful, wanton, or reckless conduct by such person. Such permission shall not confer upon any member of the public using said land, including without limitation a minor, the status of an invitee or licensee to whom any duty would be owed by said person.