Horsepower Vs Maneuverability

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #12  
I agree! I like to have power and performance in reserve. Not nice, working at a machines limits. On the other hand, two acres IS two acres.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #13  
55hp is overkill for 2 acres. Unlike with cars or motorcycles, more HP doesn't make tractors more fun.
If you're finish mowing a lawn keep in mind that a heavy tractor can tear up the lawn or compress the soil. I use a lawn tractor to mow the lawn and keep the compact tractor off it.

What part of California are you in?

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability
I was just thinking of having a power reserve. That's all. I'm in foothills in northern Ca. Just over the hill from Reno.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #16  
I mow 6 acres of grass with my JD2210. If I had an FEL it would easily manage your 2 acre tasks.

Not picking on Gary but he gave you a perfect reason to not buy too big. 8 year old tractor with less than 200 hours. Then he had to go buy the tractor he needed.

Rare to see that but it happens.

If only buying one tractor it's best to buy the size that will do ALL the tasks. Even if it means taking more time.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #17  
I always suggest a 40 something pto hp 4wd large frame tractor if that's going to be your only tractor. Big enough to do some serious work and lifting but not just a glorified garden tractor. Something with REAL wheels and some ground clearance. You know, a REAL tractor.

I think many smaller tractors nowadays are designed more to meet a price point than an application.

Last edited:
   / Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #19  
I'd hire a dozer for the initial work and buy the smaller tractor for maintenance.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #20  
We bought a big used 50PTO HP machine to get the initial large jobs out of the way, then bought our smaller 25HP machine to keep the places maintained, and eventually sold the large one.