Horsepower Vs Maneuverability

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #21  
I mow 6 acres of grass with my JD2210. If I had an FEL it would easily manage your 2 acre tasks.

Not picking on Gary but he gave you a perfect reason to not buy too big. 8 year old tractor with less than 200 hours. Then he had to go buy the tractor he needed.

Rare to see that but it happens.

If only buying one tractor it's best to buy the size that will do ALL the tasks. Even if it means taking more time.

Yes but do to the extra turns involved:D
there is a fair size difference in some 55- 70 HP tractors.
my 55 hp tractor turns just as tight as my 40 HP Ford 3000 did. the only places it is really different is height and weight.

With the size of place the OP has- probably right about his smaller tractor being able to cover all the bases- unless the tractors both have FELs and he ever needs to lift anything heavy or op needs to use his Cat 2 implements.
so i would get the 55 horse tractor and get everything done and then if not needed trade or sell and get a smaller maintenance tractor

Last edited:
   / Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #22  
The only time I have ever used brakes for turning is either in row crops making turn into the next row or in a real tight position. You did not mention the features of the tractors. For fel work a hydro trans would be my first choice for that. Depending on the grading you are doing hdyro trans would also be the best but if wide open grading work type of trans probably would make little difference. If you are doing grading work bigger is better. Wider blade will grade leveler quicker than shorter blade. Bigger tractor and bigger fel will handle bigger and heavier rocks if need be and should be giving you higher lift height might be advantage in piling what you are moving or loading into trailer or truck for moving. Not sure if bigger tractor is 4 wheel drive but that goes well with fel but heavy two wheel drive can do a good job with proper weight on rear wheels. FEL work you will want power steering. Most likely the bigger tractor has better rear lift than the smaller tractor with higher lift height which be issue with clearance at times.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #23  
Pick a smaller unit.

My Hurlimann 435 is "too big" for many tasks I need doing on my two acres.

And that is a compact unit that is now offered at up to 55 hp. that is, the same well equipped tractor available in 25, 35 and 55 hp executions. Check SDF or Lamborghini for the latest scoop ;-)

With that, I'm replacing the Bolens HT 23 (23hp) with a B series Kubota for blowing snow and pulling garden trailers around the place. My lands are "three dimensional" in the extreme, with many mature trees. Manoeuvrability is key!

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #24  
I’d go for the smaller tractor. IMO big tractors are meant for field work and are pretty terrible for general maintenance. If the workload is too much for the little tractor consider the right tool for the job.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #25  
I have 80 acres and a mile long gravel driveway. My property is very open - old growth Ponderosa pine and field grass.

Originally I had Ford 1710 4WD that I bought new when we moved to the property in '82. It was great and did all the small jobs very well. In 2009 I traded it in for my current 2009 Kubota M6040. Bigger tractor - with grapple and rear blade it weighs 10,100 pounds - able to do bigger jobs.

The one major "big job" is summer driveway maintenance. The little Ford just couldn't "swing" implements heavy enough to break thru the driveway when it set up like concrete in the summer. Also - now I can move large rocks and big chunks of Ponderosa pine.

My Kubota with its 1050 pound rear blade(Rhino 950 - 96") easily shaves and contours the driveway where needed. With the Land Pride SGC1560 I can easily pick and move large chunks of pine and huge rocks.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #26  
I live on 2 acres and my 21 HP Kubota is perfect. On my two larger 100 acre plus places an hour away I have 60 and 45 HP tractors. Match your needs and you will be better off. I would go for Tractor A.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #27  
K7LN,
I mow my lawn w/ a 50 hp tractor, no issues. Use both 90 inch and 110 in finish mowers.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #28  
If you're looking for HP and maneuverability you might consider an Antonio Carraro. I'm pretty sure there is at least one guy on here that has one with a loader. Kiwibro I believe.

I've got the TTR4400 and it's an amazing machine. Not suitable for every job, but very stable, very maneuverable, and lots of HP in a small size. I use mine for brush-hogging/flail mowing, pulling a 9' hay rake, pulling hay wagons, running a round bale wrapper, running 8" wood chipper, 5' box blade, 5' rototiller, 2-ton dump wagon, snow plow, etc. Because it's reversible I can mow stuff before I drive over it and if I wanted a big snow blower I could mount it on the 3PT and not have to drive in reverse. When the knives on the flail are sharp I can do a pretty decent job on my lawn.

The 2 down sides I've found with my AC is the smaller tires give a rough ride over bumpy ground and the lack of a FEL. I think you can actually get a fork lift and/or slip-scoop style lift for the rear which could cover a lot of house-hold moving tasks but it's still not an FEL. I'm fortunate to have access to an FEL on another tractor so don't miss it at all.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #29  
Just 2 acres of grading to make the property all one level. Then mowing those 2 acres. Also removing some demo'd out buildings. Chicken coops, 1980's tin shed special x3, and a random cast iron fireplace. Last general property maintenance. I'm surrounded by Oak and Pine trees with the occasional redwood too.

I'm biased but I'd get a Kioti CK series. Most bang for the buck but if there isn't one near you that'd be a problem.

I'm mowing about 2.5 acres spread around 11 acres with my 25 hp Ck2510 using a 5' finish mower and it only takes a couple hours. I'd love to have a MMM but the cost is high and I got the LP FM for $500 used.

I've found the 5' box blade and 6' rear blade good for grading and the 25 hp is more than sufficient. It will take longer to do all the work with a smaller tractor but when you're done you'll have the right tractor for the future at a lower cost.

And I like the HST. For FEL work it's real nice and when mowing or grading it's nice to not have to shift gears to back up.

/ Horsepower Vs Maneuverability #30  
I had a small tractor for about 15 years and sold it a year ago only because I found a very good deal on a larger tractor and I wanted to be able to stack my hay rolls higher. Well the new tractor is great, it's a low profile model so it dosen't really look that much bigger but when I first started using it I clipped a spigot on the back of the barn and broke it off, smashed the toung of a small trailer I clipped as I was passing buy, broke several wooden fence post off and banged up a few other things here and there. Anyway I have gotten used to the new tractor and it's heavier weight and larger turning radius and I haven't busted anything in a while but sometimes I sure miss that little tractor. I would say don't get anything much bigger then you really need because those little tractors can work in some tight spots, and they won't tear up the grass like a heaver machine so you can work up close to your house as well.