Hourmeter, Tachometer Repair (electronic)

/ Hourmeter, Tachometer Repair (electronic) #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
I have a 2008 NH TN70A. The hourmeter has stopped working. Tachometer still works fine. Dealer said it's all an integrated circuit board unit. (entire instrument cluster) Their solution was to order a new instrument cluster. No thanks.

My question is, Has anyone here used a 3rd party repair service, and if so, are you satisfied with the repair and what did it cost?
There was such a service on the ad banner at the top of this page, but I don't know anything about them. The odometer on my Peterbilt has quit too. I'd like to get it fixed.

/ Hourmeter, Tachometer Repair (electronic) #2  
recently added an hour meter from amazon to my tractor. it works when the key is on -seems ok to me.

/ Hourmeter, Tachometer Repair (electronic) #3  
Do a web search for speedometer repair, tons of shops out there.

/ Hourmeter, Tachometer Repair (electronic) #4  
Fixing it depends on if any of the parts are proprietary or have the markings removed to make identification impossible, or if it's just a blob of epoxy over a bare IC (lots of clocks are like this).
There's probably less than a dozen components, none should cost more than a few bucks. But you'd be paying for troubleshooting time, stocking rarely used parts etc.
If you can take it apart and send a pic of the business side of the circuit board, I can give you a guess as to how hard it would be to troubleshoot and repair.

A separate hour meter is probably the most economical solution.

/ Hourmeter, Tachometer Repair (electronic) #5  
ebay sells aftermarket dash panels for older Fords, at least through 1988 year models. I bough new ones for the 3000 and 3910 for about 70 bucks; work great. Point here is that you may do better with a new unit if priced right and available.

/ Hourmeter, Tachometer Repair (electronic)
Thanks for the replies.

I may have to resort to a stand-alone hourmeter on the tractor, but I'd rather get my instrument cluster fixed.

I did a search, and see that there are plenty of places, but I've never used any of them, and don't know anyone who has. I don't want to send it off only to have them charge me more than a new one cost.

Dave, I really appreciate the offer, and I may take you up on it. But there are some things that I don't mess with. Electronics has always been one of those. (I also don't disassemble carburetors or automatic transmissions) :)
My cousin used to be a computer tech, and I can ask him if he's willing to play with it. Another consideration is, the hourmeter is the only component on the cluster that doesn't work. I don't want to mess up anything else.

I have looked for an aftermarket dash panel, but I'm not seeing any. 2007 is just too recent, I think. Factory replacement is north of $700, IIRC. I asked the NH dealer a couple years ago. This tractor sees less than 100 hrs per year of use. So, I just change the oil and filter every other year. It's not THAT big of a deal, I just like everything to work.
As far as my Peterbilt odometer, a new speedo from Peterbilt is $500. As with the tractor, it's not a huge problem, but I'd like it to work. I'm currently tracking my mileage with a GPS unit, and writing it down.
I was just thinking that if someone on here had used a repair facility, and they were reasonable enough, it would be worth it to get them fixed. If not, I'll just keep going like I have been.

/ Hourmeter, Tachometer Repair (electronic) #7  
Many times, it’s nothing more than a cracked solder joint that causes these problems.

/ Hourmeter, Tachometer Repair (electronic)
Many times, it’s nothing more than a cracked solder joint that causes these problems.

I thought about that. Guess it wouldn't hurt to pull it out and have a look-see. Thanks