How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt?

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt?
Break the rocks into smaller rocks.
Drill a 3/8-hole about 6-inches deep.
Fill it with silly putty.
Cover the thing with some old carpet
Take 32-caliber Ram-Set, with the heaviest charge, and longest pin they make.
Center the Ram-Set on the hole full of silly putty, and give it a good smack.
The hydraulic pressure will split the rock.

Traditionally, a ”Stone Sled” was made with two lengths of 4X6, with the fronts tapered up, and the whole length faced with 1/4-inch steel strap. You then put 2X cross pieces over the 4X6s to make a deck. Two hole were drilled near the front of the runners, to attach towing ropes or chains.

I think you could find actual plans for one in the plan archives of the Agg Engineering Schools, at the Land Grant Universities. They are a good resource for farm related designs, for everything from barns, sheds, houses, and chicken coops and implements.
Kind of want to keep them the size they are for decorative purposes.

We have some HUGE boulders around. I have moved or worked with many, many of them. I use the large ones for decoration or erosion control and LOTS of stone up to 16" for erosion and understory fire protection around the house. They also make great places for rattle snakes to hide :-( So far there is only one that was too big for a 410j but at least I was able to get it off a dangerous place and over the other side of the trail. All I can say is that big rocks are big wear and tear on a tractor. Even if you can pick them up doesn't mean you should. And trying to push them is crazy esp if the land is not flat.

The best advise I've seen on this thread is to get it in the bucket if reasonable, tilt the bucket back and slide it over the ground. I like the rock sled idea too. But again, if the ground is not level that could be dangerous. So what's so wrong with just making a hole, burying the oversize and using smaller ones? Or rent a suitable wheel loader brought in on a lowboy.
Main reason I'm buying a 60 hp tractor is the cost of renting is ridiculous and at the end of the rental period I have no equipment to use on the next project. The thought is spend the rental money on monthly payments for the swiss army knife of land clearing/prepping equipment and have it for A long as I want to keep it. When it is not needed anymore I can always sell it or downsize(I don't think I'll never need it any more). This way I get the work done, even if it is not the most efficient way, but I can take my time doing it and my money goes towards something that is not going to depreciate a ton especially since I am getting mine used.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #103  
Main reason I'm buying a 60 hp tractor is the cost of renting is ridiculous and at the end of the rental period I have no equipment to use on the next project.
From the pics of your land and since you have rented a Takeuchi 290 18K excavator which is a sizable machine, getting one tool/tractor to do it all is a big ask. Yes, a 60 HP tractor can be your swiss army knife with attachments, but expect it to take a lot longer than a dedicated machine for the task - like a 40K Excavator can do in a day what may take you weeks.

We got the rocks and boulders "within a few feet" where we wanted them when the stumping was done, then moved into final walls afterwards.

From the pics of your land and since you have rented a Takeuchi 290 18K excavator which is a sizable machine, getting one tool/tractor to do it all is a big ask. Yes, a 60 HP tractor can be your swiss army knife with attachments, but expect it to take a lot longer than a dedicated machine for the task - like a 40K Excavator can do in a day what may take you weeks.

We got the rocks and boulders "within a few feet" where we wanted them when the stumping was done, then moved into final walls afterwards.
No doubt. There's arguments for each. Wish I can just buy an excavator too.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #105  
But do you really want lots of surface area?
No.

You use two logs or posts as runners and build a deck across the runners. You can use logs for this or stout lumber. taper the front and rear bottom edges of the runners, that way you can pull either direction. You could probably tow 3-4 boulders that you would have to do individually.

No.

You use two logs or posts as runners and build a deck across the runners. You can use logs for this or stout lumber. taper the front and rear bottom edges of the runners, that way you can pull either direction. You could probably tow 3-4 boulders that you would have to do individually.
That's what I figured. What kind of deck would you run that can hold these thousands of lbs?

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #107  
post #98 has some better information on that.
I've been looking for actual plans without much luck. I've seen some other builds however. I have an idea for one too. Just need to see if I can execute.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #109  
You might find a plan here:

Miscellaneous — Building Plans

Most of the Univeristies which off degrees in Agricultural Engineering will have something similar. Your Extension Agent can get you contact information and links. Basically you have to do a dressing project to graduate. And the Universities keep copies of the designs. Iowa has a good online plan library., but I don’t have a link for it.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #110  
Back in the day my Dad and grandad would push big rocks onto what they called a mud sled and then drag that the where the wanted to go with it.

It also sounds like you need another tractor 🚜