How big of cylinder do I need?

/ How big of cylinder do I need? #11  
With the rake square to the boom I marked a point on the 3pt frame and on the rake frame and swung the rake to 45º left and right.
I need 27" short and 36" long. So a 9-10 inch stroke would do.
A few pictures of your rake would really help. There are various designs for this stuff. It sounds like you have a short boom if you are looking at using the 3pt hitch mount as a base mount for the rake angle cylinder mount.

A std clevis end welded cylinder with a 10" stroke is 20 1/4"- 30 1/4"

A 12" unit would be 22 1/4"- 34 1/4".

/ How big of cylinder do I need?
Sounds good - I'll post pics in the AM. Thank you

/ How big of cylinder do I need? #13  
Any pics yet Or decided on what cylinder to use?

Sorry for the delay. A snow plow application sounds similar. FYI I tried the rake on the gravel road and I liked it vs the box blade. So I will pursue this mod.
Nvrmnd the wheels pictured. I'm in the process of putting on some larger adjustable gauge wheels. The BH rake is 84 inches

Attachments

• IMG_2841.JPG
    IMG_2841.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2843.JPG
    IMG_2843.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 82
   / How big of cylinder do I need? #16  
The closer to center you mount the cylinder on the rake the shorter the stroke can be. Can you find a pair of single acting cylinders from an old snow plow and mount one on each side and operate them like one DA cylinder.

I finally pulled the trigger on a double action 3" x 1.5" rod cylinder with a 12" stroke and 1" pins

Product Details​

The Chief 3 in. Bore x 12 in. Stroke WC Welded Cylinder is a high-quality welded hydraulic cylinder with a strong forged steel base. Made for when space is limited, this hydraulic cylinder model has a screw-in gland that reduces the cylinder profile by replacing the collar style gland. It will provide added strength to agricultural implements, compact construction and transportation equipment, as well as waste/recycling applications, and the base end clevis extends out 2 in. to ensure greater swing radius and maximum flexibility.
  • Intended use: double-acting applications
  • Piston: ductile iron
  • Gland: ductile iron
  • Tube: precision-honed steel
  • Rod: hard chrome-plated
  • End mounts: ductile iron female clevises with pins and clips included
  • Tube seals: Buna O-ring
  • Rod seal: deep polypak with B-lip design
  • Rod wiper: urethane, snap-in
  • Piston seal: Hallite 755 for prolonged wear resistance with wear ring
  • All seals: manufactured to US specifications
  • Functionally tested and pressurized to 1.5 times the normal working pressure to ensure performance reliability
  • Welded hydraulic cylinder with SAE O-ring ports that allow for easy hookup
  • Has a 3,000 PSI operating range
  • 3-year limited warranty
  • Measures 20.25 in. retracted and 30.25 in. extended
  • Individually poly bagged hydraulic cylinder is easy to transport
  • Column load: 21,200 lb.
  • Pin diameter of 1in. and rod diameter of 1.5 in.

This thing arrived and all I can say is this cylinder is huge! 3" looks like 2 times overkill. 1/2 lines? Can I run 3/8ths lines There really is no load turning the rake on it's pivot.
What do you all think. Will 3/8ths lines about 4ft long from the quick attach be okay?

/ How big of cylinder do I need? #19  
The smaller the lines, the slower the cylinder will respond.

IIRC, I used 1/4” lines on mine but the cylinder bore was smaller (maybe 2” ?) than the one you’re using.

Mine was plenty fast enough.

Thanks for your reply. Right now I'm thinking 3/8 lines