How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer?

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer?
Hi Brandi, yeah those track loaders are the berries. I ran one a few years ago in OKC on a job. It would go where my skid wouldn't. After that job, I bought a set of Over The Tire tracks for my NH LX565 skid. They worked almost as good as the tracked machine. I traded the tracks in with the old machine because the new Skid (NH L190) is has larger tires on it and the old tracks wouldn't work. I am going to order a set of Affordable Tracks for the new skid if we ever get rain out here again:) If you are interested in buying a tracked machine, check out heavyequipmentforums.com . A lot of good information there.

I was reading your thread about you pond build, I didn't see how big it was. How large is it on the surface and how deep did you dig it. Any idea how much dirt you removed?

Tim

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #12  
Your project sounds doable but after learning the hard way OTT is the way to go. Here are some pictures of what happened to me...
008.jpg 006.jpg

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #13  
Tim,
It is a little over 7 feet deep by the island and the dam's curve goes about 264 feet. It is around 100 feet long and about 50 feet wide. It has gone in so fast, I have not had to time measure with a tape. I went out of town this last weekend for R&R with my kids in Austin. Didn't even take the time to do any laser or water hose leveling while digging Just used my eyeballs.
I have no idea how many yards of spoils I removed. All I know is that it was enough to turn a fun job into a never ending run back and forth. I think you call that work. It was not too bad, as I went fast enough on the Mahindra to get a breeze going in the 100 degree heat. I dumped the spoils from the Bobcat closer to the pond, so I still need to move that.
What I loved so much about the mini track loader was how I could travel across (with a loaded bucket off the ground) the pond basin's slopes. I can only turn the Mahindra on the slopes..........and then only with the bucket sitting on the ground. Big, big pucker factor difference.
Are there any specifications out there on how much psi tracks on skid steers make?
hugs, Brandi

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #14  
How much do tracks add to a skid steer's price? I would love a mini track loader, but that steep price kills my budget.
hugs, Brandi

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #15  
How much do tracks add to a skid steer's price? I would love a mini track loader, but that steep price kills my budget.
hugs, Brandi

If you are talking about going from a skid steer to a CTL (rubber tracked machine, Compact Track Loader) it's at least a $10K increase plus a lot higher maintenance costs (some have estimated at least $10/hr more maintenance). In general those machines do not last as long as a skid steer (rubber tires) without major maintenance overhauls.

If you are talking about adding over the tire tracks (OTR), then you are talking about $1000-$3000 depending on the brand and type of tracks.

Ken

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer?
The typical ground pressure of a compact track loader is 3-5psi/ square inch. This information is readily available from manufacturers specs. Ground pressure specs for skid steer loaders are not so readily available. I estimate that my NH L190 has a ground pressure of about 15lbs/square inch. I think this is probably pretty typical for most skid steer loaders

Tim

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #17  
If you are talking about going from a skid steer to a CTL (rubber tracked machine, Compact Track Loader) it's at least a $10K increase plus a lot higher maintenance costs (some have estimated at least $10/hr more maintenance). In general those machines do not last as long as a skid steer (rubber tires) without major maintenance overhauls.

If you are talking about adding over the tire tracks (OTR), then you are talking about $1000-$3000 depending on the brand and type of tracks.

Ken
Ken,
I'm talking about adding tracks to a skid steer. I have heard those mini track loader rubber tracks cost a lot to replace. I have been quoted (new) from $77,000 for a Bobcat T770 down to $53,000-56,000 for an air conditioned Mustang.

You can see the differences in MX costs from a Mini track loader to a Mini excavator when the mini track loader costs about $100 more an hour to rent then the excavator of the same weight class.
So a skid steer with add on tracks sure needs a looking at.
hugs, Brandi

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #18  
Ken,
I'm talking about adding tracks to a skid steer. I have heard those mini track loader rubber tracks cost a lot to replace. I have been quoted (new) from $77,000 for a Bobcat T770 down to $53,000-56,000 for an air conditioned Mustang.

You can see the differences in MX costs from a Mini track loader to a Mini excavator when the mini track loader costs about $100 more an hour to rent then the excavator of the same weight class.
So a skid steer with add on tracks sure needs a looking at.
hugs, Brandi
If you are looking into getting a skid steer I would look on Machinerytrader.com and your local craigslist for deals. I got my 317 for a sweet deal, 1000 hours, 61 hp, it even had a few added options like H pattern controls, top window, and even a chrome stack. :D I am a huge Deere fan, after operating many different brands of skid steers I would typically choose a Deere over a Bobcat. CTL's cost a lot to maintain, comparing my 317 to the CT322 i have had some time on, my 317 seems to be less problematic and less of a hassle to clean and maintain. The undercarriage on a CTL loves to collect sloppy wet mud which when you drive back to the barn you leave a trail of mud all the way there and just make a mess of everything. Just my :2cents:

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #19  
I agree that used skid steers can be picked up a reasonable prices. However, I would be very careful looking at used CTLs. At 1000-2000 hours, they may be needing a lot of maintenance dollars and not be much of a good deal. At 3000 hours, you can definitely expect to sink a lot of money into it.

Ken

/ How do I clean out a stock tank with a skid steer? #20  
why not rent a tracked excavator with large bucket and hydraulic thumb on it? that way you could move some lumber mats around to get in and out of the pond. and move muck from in front of you to behind you. and once muck is up on higher firmer ground moving the muck with what ever....