How do I cure a Pot Bellied Pig?

/ How do I cure a Pot Bellied Pig? #11  
Ya gotta get pictures of the little oinker as he takes a mouthful of the zesty bird seed! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

animation1.gif

/ How do I cure a Pot Bellied Pig? #12  
Rodney, I have raised several pot belly pigs, have one now.
There's no sure fire answer for your problem except to explain what you are up against. Pigs are real smart and have great memories but they are food motivated. If possible move your food out of where he can get to it and eventually he'll lose interest. Pigs generally don't respond to you whacking them with something or chasing them around other than trying to get you to think you have succeeded doing whatever it was you wanted them to do so you'll lose interest in them then they'll come back. Electric fences don't generally affect pigs (hide is too thick backed up by about 1" of fat) unless they touch them with their nose which is the most sensitive part of their body. You can count on that not happening twice. I've seen pigs do that once then short the fence out by burying the wire with their nose then going right thru the fence. Yeah, you could try to whack or pinch their nose if you were lucky enough to catch them doing something but then this may become your bad luck when they bite you. It's not a cutting and ripping bite but more like slamming your hand in your car door, hard. Best bet is to make your yard uninteresting and uninviting to your pig and he'll eventually just go away. Good luck, ric

/ How do I cure a Pot Bellied Pig? #13  
Sorry to hear about your pig problem. My neighbhor has about 50 pigs running around with only a single electric wire trying to hold them in./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Sometimes it works sometimes it won't. My solution was my dogs./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif My little one is half Icelandic sheepdog and will try to keep anything off the yard including birds. Also my Golden retrevier is absolutely the best pig chaser of the two, (of course you could walk into my house, pet her and walk out with what ever else you wanted) So the dogs work only when I'm home. I'll I have to do is walk out the door and holler pig. My last effort was a 12 gage loaded with light shot. Didn't try to hit the pigs but got close enough that they hauled out of there fast and haven't been back since (2 months).
Talk about landscaping!!!! You should see what 20 pigs can do to your yard/field etc.
Liked Pete's idea best when it comes to bird food though!!
Have a great day.
Al
Pumpkin Village Settlement

/ How do I cure a Pot Bellied Pig? #14  
Rod
My wife tried some of the hot stuff to keep squirrels out of our bird feeder. She had red eyes for a week. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif Be careful and use rubber gloves you plan on throwing away after each use. It did work with the squirrels. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif But she won't go near the feeder either. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ How do I cure a Pot Bellied Pig? #15  
That Idea for HOT PEPPER might just work. You could probably buy some hot peppers at the grocery store[ Haberno's, chilies ] slice em up and add to the feed. Even make it easy for the little fellar to get to the food source. I'm gonna try it on the bird feeder as this is the first I've heard of it.
As some else said " pigs are smart "
Egon

/ How do I cure a Pot Bellied Pig? #16  
Let's see. Curing a Pot belly pig. Salt cured would be good. Look for a local meat butcher shop. Maybe a smoke house. A good smoke cured pig is tasty. I'd try and find a shop that cures one like you can buy in the story. You know, a virginia baked ham. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

About pigs and electric fences. We used to run several sows and a boar in a 5 acre pasture. HAD to use electric fence to keep them from rooting under a wooden fence. Naturally the critters were out there to procreate. One of the small gilts (a sow before her first litter) was all-ready for breeding and thrilled with the idea. But she wasn't strong enough for the 450 lb boar. Her back legs kept folding up. So she'd back up the 2 of them to get her feet back under her. Now you position an electric fence on a wooden fence at the right hight to catch their ears. They are almost as sensitive as the nose. BUT, on a boar, his ears and his **** are at about the same hight, just at different ends. Yep, that gilt backed him testicles first right into that electric fence. The most god awful squealing you have ever heard. From the both of them. Good electical contact it would appear. We figured the both of them were ruined for normal intercourse for the rest of their lives. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Farmer kid usetabe, Farmer Wannabe

/ How do I cure a Pot Bellied Pig? #18  
Howdy,
If you don't own a very large ill tempered dog,borrow one from a someone that does.Give it ever how much chain it needs to take care of business,and relax and let it take care of business.......Then get yourself a puppy and raise it to take care of you and yours,and you all and the dog will find both your lives near stress free..........If God made anything sweeter than a dog,He/She kept it for Him/Her self.....

/ How do I cure a Pot Bellied Pig?
Hey, we tried the dog trick. We have a Border Collie. Problem is, she isn't trained, although they have a natural instinct to herd. I had the pig headed home when the dog intercepted it at the fence and herded it BACK to me. She's also deaf so she didn't hear all the %$#@#$% that I was yelling. And while we are on the subject...... she's also dumb. Did you ever see a dog try to herd a Kubota? Priceless! ! ! ! !

Rod

/ How do I cure a Pot Bellied Pig? #20  
Rodneyd, I'm afraid that herding instinct is what got our last dog, a border collie, run over and killed in the road. She was given to us before she was old enough to wean because her mother has suffered the same fate.

And about a mile from my house is a fellow who has 10 or 12 pot bellied pigs and they spend more time along the sides of the road than they do penned up. You should see how they keep the borrow ditch rooted up. I think sheer luck is the only thing that has kept any of them from being hit by cars (although there have been a few close calls), and I really don't understand why the state has taken no action against the fellow for allowing them to run loose.

BirdSig.jpg