how do I disable seat switch on Farmall 45A

/ how do I disable seat switch on Farmall 45A #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
The operator presence switch on my 45A has been an annoyance but I have dealt with it but I would like to be able to disable it for certain situations. Does anyone know of an easy way to do so? I have not spent any amount of time looking it over yet but figured I'd ask here first.

/ how do I disable seat switch on Farmall 45A #2  
What are you doing that the seat switch is a problem? Should anything ever go wrong, a jumpered out safety doesn't look good in court.

/ how do I disable seat switch on Farmall 45A #3  
Yes, like said above, if you were to unplug the wiring receptacle from the switch under the seat and jumper/short the terminals on the receptacle plug with a small wire so that the circuit now thinks the seat switch is always closed, it wouldn't provide this necessary and very important safety interlock.

/ how do I disable seat switch on Farmall 45A
Yes, like said above, if you were to unplug the wiring receptacle from the switch under the seat and jumper/short the terminals on the receptacle plug with a small wire so that the circuit now thinks the seat switch is always closed, it wouldn't provide this necessary and very important safety interlock.

Reasons are my own and I am not wanting to debate them. But I thank you both for your responses. I do appreciate the help.

/ how do I disable seat switch on Farmall 45A #5  
First of all, I grew up around tractors that didn't have all the safety bells and whistles the current ones have. That requires a different set of behaviors to maintain a safe working environment. No roll bar, then you hitch the tractor so the load doesn't tip it, and you don't drive on slopes too steep. No seat safety switch? Then you engage the brakes, take it out of gear, and disengage the PTO before hopping off, or shut the engine down altogether.

Secondly, the more parts you have have, the more systems you have, the more points of failure you're going to have. Frankly, I don't know of ANY tractor company that doesn't use the cheapest doggone switches for their seat sensors. Which means they're one of the most common parts failures and replacement items. Which means it's deliberate, and a money maker for the company.

Third, that seat switch has the potential to shut your tractor off in the worst possible place and the worst possible moment. Like crossing a busy 4 lane highway and have it fail right in the middle, or crossing a stream, plowing your driveway, or putting down a tree, or it rolled against and pinned somebody against the wall. Think of your own example. Point is, you need to move it and it's going nowhere without a replacement switch, and in some cases you aren't able to get around the tractor to go get the switch at all!

Fourth, consider who's driving your tractor. Kids, then yes, you want a seat switch. Spouse or multiple other users, then you want a seat switch. Just yourself? You can train yourself not to ever need it.

After the third time I had a seat switch fail on my tractor while I was out in the woods, I cut that dratted thing out and spliced around it. I've never regretted it. And I never will. Although if I do sell the tractor for an upgrade, I'll have to replace the switch then.

/ how do I disable seat switch on Farmall 45A #7  
First of all, I grew up around tractors that didn't have all the safety bells and whistles the current ones have. That requires a different set of behaviors to maintain a safe working environment. No roll bar, then you hitch the tractor so the load doesn't tip it, and you don't drive on slopes too steep. No seat safety switch? Then you engage the brakes, take it out of gear, and disengage the PTO before hopping off, or shut the engine down altogether.

Secondly, the more parts you have have, the more systems you have, the more points of failure you're going to have. Frankly, I don't know of ANY tractor company that doesn't use the cheapest doggone switches for their seat sensors. Which means they're one of the most common parts failures and replacement items. Which means it's deliberate, and a money maker for the company.

Third, that seat switch has the potential to shut your tractor off in the worst possible place and the worst possible moment. Like crossing a busy 4 lane highway and have it fail right in the middle, or crossing a stream, plowing your driveway, or putting down a tree, or it rolled against and pinned somebody against the wall. Think of your own example. Point is, you need to move it and it's going nowhere without a replacement switch, and in some cases you aren't able to get around the tractor to go get the switch at all!

Fourth, consider who's driving your tractor. Kids, then yes, you want a seat switch. Spouse or multiple other users, then you want a seat switch. Just yourself? You can train yourself not to ever need it.

After the third time I had a seat switch fail on my tractor while I was out in the woods, I cut that dratted thing out and spliced around it. I've never regretted it. And I never will. Although if I do sell the tractor for an upgrade, I'll have to replace the switch then.

Ask the members of the local fire department rescue squad about disconnected safety systems.

/ how do I disable seat switch on Farmall 45A #8  
Put an inline switch in a convenient place.

/ how do I disable seat switch on Farmall 45A #9  
Ask the members of the local fire department rescue squad about disconnected safety systems.

Ask an insurance company about risk-cost-benefit ratios.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, until you get to 17 ounces of prevention.

/ how do I disable seat switch on Farmall 45A

Mine died on the road today, acted up the other day while on the landing at the field which is what started this thread. Well I was lucky as there was no traffic but it died in the lane. Flipped the seat up and gave it a good whack where the switch is and she worked again.