How do I Get Crankshaft Nut off Kubota?

/ How do I Get Crankshaft Nut off Kubota? #21  
   / How do I Get Crankshaft Nut off Kubota?
Things are not looking good. Getting the nut off and on will be no problem now, but it turns out the two lowest screws on the front cover are obstructed by the front axle. I believe the engine has to be lifted up, or the axle has to move forward. It appears that the axle mess is welded to the frame, so I don't see any way to slide it forward, and with no way of lifting heavy things (due to my tractor not working), I have no way of pulling a heavy tractor front end out anyway.

I can't even guess how to get the engine loose, and I'm sure putting it back in is a horror.

/ How do I Get Crankshaft Nut off Kubota? #23  
Thanks for the reply. Would a dealer actually lend a tool? I would have expected them to work very hard to discourage people from paying their labor rates.
I wouldn't. It's a lose lose
Guy brings it back worse for the wear but thinks it's fine (Cos he don't know ****) you keep his deposit and you stiull gotta get a new one and now you have an angry customer badmouthing you in the area. It's alose lose.
HOWEVER there are autoparts stores that rent tools.
But why not just buy the socket?

I just took a look at it.

I can't access the screws by removing the front axle, because the frame itself obstructs the screw heads above the axle. It looks like the only answer is to remove all the fasteners attaching the engine to the front frame, which go all the way back to the rear of the loader, and move the front frame forward.

To do this, I have to have the loader off. To get the loader off, I have to have hydraulics. To get hydraulics, I need to seal the hole in the cover.

I don't know what would happen if the engine were detached from the front frame, held in place by whatever fasteners are at the rear, and then jacked up. I assume it must be possible to jack up the oil pan and engine without breaking the engine loose from the transmission.

/ How do I Get Crankshaft Nut off Kubota? #25  
If you have another tractor with loader hook-ups, you could use that tractor to power the loader to get it off.

/ How do I Get Crankshaft Nut off Kubota? #26  
Just wonder if you are accurate at 45mm socket. That is not near common as 46mm in deep sockets. Most sockets that size are 3/4 drive. Don't think I would want to be wrong (loose socket) and risk damaging the nut. I would expect that nut might cost $40 or more depending on the brand. The service mechanic might let you borrow his overnight with a $100 cash refundable deposit and maybe a $20 rental fee. Around $100 is about what snap-on would sell that for.

/ How do I Get Crankshaft Nut off Kubota? #27  
Is the loader up or down? If down, you might be able to do all of the tasks with a couple of engine hoists. If its up, I'm not sure. If you disconnect the hydraulic lines you will have an uncontrolled fall of the loader. Not good.

Could you temporarily seal the hole in the timing cover to run the machine? I'm assuming there is no debris that the timing gears could catch.

I have a new plan.

I'm going to jam some steel-impregnated epoxy in the hole and run the engine to see if it leaks. If it does, I'll call the dealer. If not, I'll run the tractor judiciously until the cooler weather gets here, and then I'll reevaluate. If the tractor is running, the hydraulic issues go away.

In the afternoon, the sun roasts the area where the tractor sits. It seems like it starts raining every time I walk outside. It's uncanny. Then there are the mosquitoes. In October or November, I should be able to go outside for more than 10 minutes without being bathed in sweat or rain.

/ How do I Get Crankshaft Nut off Kubota? #29  
Rain -- what's that? Have not seen much in months here.

/ How do I Get Crankshaft Nut off Kubota? #30  
Guess I'm lucky. If I need a tool I don't have for the Kubota, I just ask my tech and he loans it to me. Of course that don't include the Diagmaster...... :p