How do you know when the fuel tank is full?

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #51  
X2 Ever see crap in the bottom of your "clean" fuel cans?? I make my fuel go through the filter on my hand pump barrel with auto shut off before it goes in the tank but still bring it home in cans. Can't tie up my pickup bed. Waaaaay easier than fuel cans on the hood.

I don't care for wasting space in my truck bed either, but the 37g vertical tanks only take up about 8" or so....

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #52  
I don't care for wasting space in my truck bed either, but the 37g vertical tanks only take up about 8" or so....

My 55g isn't that small but I don't miss the space. When I have to use a 5g container to go get gasoline for my offroad buggy or chainsaw it aggravates me. I can't go back to small containers for diesel.

20200116_162023.jpg

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #53  
On my kubota if I leave the key on when filling it will start beeping when its getting full and go to a steady beeeeeeeeep when full. I usually just put 5 gals in when 1/2 full takes the whole 5 gal no problem.

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #54  
I apologize for the name calling. I thought I was quick with a more tempered edited response . You were quicker quoting the original than I could edit. I apologize.

This is getting absurd.
I omitted one step (check) you do before emptying a 2 gallon (like OP's) or a 5 gallon jug into a tank & walking away.
Speaking of rhetorical questions: Can you guess what that step might be?

How about establishing by experiment, a correlation between your fuel gauge and how much you need to fill it back up.

Then siphon or pump in a gallon less using one of the convenient setups available on Amazon.​
Then, if you really need a full load, use a 1 gallon can to top off manually. :confused3:​

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #55  
Seems that we try to hard to make a simple task such as fueling a tractor into a complicated maze of lifts and automatic pumps to out a few gallons in the tank.
Myself, used 5 gal metal cans with funnel or siphon hose till plastic became popular. Hauled fuel in a 55 gallon frum with rotary pump for years as tractors got bigger.
With 2 tractors and fuel usage almost 250 gallons/ year now, I use a 100 gal tank & manual pump that works. I have a 12v pump new in box, just not high on priority list now.
When I fuel tractors, sometimes a little spills but not a big deal. Spill oil, hyd fluid sometimes too, just wipe it up with old socks & underdraws that make good firestarter for brushpiles.
I try to make things non complicated.
I do appreciate the ideas from posters here and have tried a few that work.
Smelling diesel, fresh turned earth and exhaust from a hard working tractor is heaven to me!
JMHO

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #56  
yep, way too easy using manual pump. count the rotations...... when I'm close I turn on the switch to check level. no issue.......

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #57  
   / How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #58  
This is the only way to do it, in my opinion. Worth the money to not have to stand up on the platform or tire and hang on to a full 5 gallon can in the beating sun on a hot day, especially when you need to pour at least two of them in. Plus you have to haul the cans in your bed and fill them up often, and tie them down in the bed so they don't go sliding. My setup is an RDS aluminum 60 gallon tank with a Fill-Rite pump, filter, and auto shut-off nozzle. All USA-made, not the Chinese crap. If you heat with fuel oil (off-road diesel) like most of us in the Northeast do, you can also deliver yourself your own fuel, often saving about $0.20/gallon.
IMG_5472.jpeg

I recently got a 60 series Kubota which claims to beep at you as the tank gets full, but I haven't tried it yet.

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #59  
You said you start a siphon and walk away. I took the question about it shutting off to be valid. A siphon won't shut off until it runs out of fluid or hits equilibrium in the two tanks' levels. Letting it run and walking away seems like a safety issue at the least.

... and kills the grass too.....:D

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #60  
It is very handy to have a filling station that sells ORD between my barn and my fields. I just swing in and fill the tractors on the way. Had to wait before, always seem to be someone filling up a tractor when I get there...